Excessive creatine supplementation - request - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Scientist Department > HYPERplasia Research

Notices

Old 06-29-2006, 11:52 AM
ryancostill should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Excessive creatine supplementation - request

We have some great minds and some great researchers here on abc. I am looking for a paper (or papers) on a specific issue relating to creatine supplementation. What I am looking for is any evidence that suggests that excessive creatine supplementation (I mean EXCESSIVE, way beyond the recommended loading and maintenance doses) could cause renal failure (kidney damage) or liver problems.

Has anybody any evidence of this happening? The paper would not have to be a strictly controlled group study, it could be a simple case study or even a review paper in which the issue might be discussed.

I have heard anecdotal reports of people supplementing with inordinate amounts of creatine (up to ten times the reommended doses) and running into problems (obviously!). But I cannot find anywhere "formal" where this is discussed or documented.

If you dont have what I am looking for but just want to further discuss this issue, that would be welcome also!

http://www.london2012.com/NR/rdonlyr...ghtlifting.jpg

Creatine: A literature review

Creatine: Practical Applications

International Symposium of Biomechanics in Sport
Old 06-29-2006, 12:30 PM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

Default Re: Excessive creatine supplementation - request

sorry but i have never seen it mentioned at all
Old 06-30-2006, 07:59 AM
Zee-German is bulking, goal of 250lbs
Middleweight

What about No Explode. Slander thy name!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
What about No Explode. Slander thy name!

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? I dont quite get what you mean.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:33 PM
DirtbagDan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

I heard about it and read about it a few years ago when I was researching Creatine when I was thinking of supplementing with it. Can't remember where I read it, though. I'm sure you can find billions of articles on the internet that are all anti-Creatine. Just like how you can find billions of articles that are anti-television. There's always going to be both sides to a subject.

EDIT: I just took a look in my saved bookmarks from years ago, and I had this in there: http://faculty.etsu.edu/currie/week3more.htm . So, check that out. If you scroll down passed the article, you'll see a table which lists 'THE GOOD' and 'THE BAD' points for Creatine. It gives both sides of the arguement.

"Some people call me a fat pig in the off season, but when I step on stage those same people are kissing my @ss" - Lee Priest

"That last rep where you're trying as hard as you can and you barely make it! That is what turns on the growth mechanism in your body. That last almost impossible rep where you're bearing your teeth, you're shaking all over, you need assistance! That rep is very special, that rep is very different. There's something special going on inside your body when that happens." - Mike Mentzer
Old 06-30-2006, 05:48 PM
klosey should change his/her status!
Super Moderator

that first con is bollock.... creatine interfiers with body temperature er no it doesnt or kids eating meat would have this problem already
the second is using a case study where they took ridicously lafge amounts so thats crapo as well
Old 06-30-2006, 06:54 PM
DirtbagDan should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
that first con is bollock.... creatine interfiers with body temperature er no it doesnt or kids eating meat would have this problem already
the second is using a case study where they took ridicously lafge amounts so thats crapo as well

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct and correct.

I can say that I took Creatine and had no negative side effects. All you need to do is drink appropriate amounts of water, and if you are already drinking the reccomended 8 - 12 cups a day, you shouldnt have a problem anyways. I drink 4 cups of water with each meal and I eat 5 - 6 meals a day, so that gives me more than 20 cups in one day, lol. I'm pissing like a racehorse all **** day. But anyhow, the only time Creatine ever had a negative side effect (if this was even coming from the Creatine), was when I didn't drink alot of water during the day because I was rushing and about 30 mins after taking creatine, I got a bad stomach cramp that lasted for about 30 mins. In other cases, my body is mostly a Creatine nonresponder, but it depends on the brand of Creatine I take. Some brands dont work for me and others light the strength and energy in my body up like a Christmas tree.

But otherwise, I agree that alot of these case studies are where people are making rediculously stupid statements and overkilling tests. Of course if you overload a guy with insanely huge amounts of Creatine, the guy is going to get problems and even perhaps die from it. If you do the same thing with, say, tylenol, the SAME effect will happen. Too much of anything is bad for you. Thats why I dont like these clinical trials and case studies where they take test subjects and overload them with insane amounts of stuff like sucralose, other artificial sweeteners, creatine, etc. etc. etc. and then when the test subject displays huge negative results, the people doing the testing are quick to point fingers and go "SEE!! SEE!!!!! LOOK! IT CAUSED CANCER! THIS MEANS THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER USE [insert supplement here] BECAUSE IT CAN CAUSE [insert disease/side-effect here]"

If you know something isnt good for you, then dont use it. I know that MSG in foods gives me bad feelings and negative results, so I don't eat foods with MSG.

"Some people call me a fat pig in the off season, but when I step on stage those same people are kissing my @ss" - Lee Priest

"That last rep where you're trying as hard as you can and you barely make it! That is what turns on the growth mechanism in your body. That last almost impossible rep where you're bearing your teeth, you're shaking all over, you need assistance! That rep is very special, that rep is very different. There's something special going on inside your body when that happens." - Mike Mentzer
Old 06-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This exactly what I am looking for. A case study where a subject took a ridiculously large amount of creatine and ran into problems. However I clicked on the second link in the "cons" list and it didnt appear to be such a case study. Could you check again where you saw this and maybe link it for me if possible?

Old 06-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that alot of these case studies are where people are making rediculously stupid statements and overkilling tests. Of course if you overload a guy with insanely huge amounts of Creatine, the guy is going to get problems and even perhaps die from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, and it is some kind of formal article or paper which I am looking for which discusses this. So if you have a reference for one or have come across one specifically, let me know!