A Balance of Cardio and Weight Lifting - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 09:13 PM
crabs should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default A Balance of Cardio and Weight Lifting

Hey I'm curious about fat burning. When you do cardio supposidly thats your best bet for burning fat, but does weight lifting help or will I just gain bulk. I run about 30 minutes 3 times a week, becaues my doctor doesn't think that more then this is good for me. I'm going for longer slender muscles not the pro bodybuilding look. I'm 134 lbs and 5"10", but I'm not sure what my body fat % is. Any advice I'd appreciate. <font color="green"> </font>
Old 04-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Gizzo should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Default Re: A Balance of Cardio and Weight Lifting

Muscle burns fat, so eliminating weight lifting won't help you with ur goals. The greatest thing you could do for burning fat is weight training your legs because they are the biggest muscles in ur body. The less calories you consume, the less size you will grow, so if u don't want to bulk up be careful how much u eat.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:57 AM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

Ok, I have to differ with Gizzo on several things...first we should aim for overall health. Training all our body to be strong and healthy, not just legs.

Despite the fact that the composition of muscle in males and females is the same, women won't get as big as men for many reasons. You should not be afraid of weight training.

Calories are not the only factor to consider but composition of those calories: protein, fat, carbs. We need them all for a healthy body but from the cleanest sources possible.

Muscle is always requiring energy to recover, grow and function. Muscles were meant to be used. We were meant for action, not to be couch potatoes *this is what is unnatural*.

I suggest you post a sample of a typical day for you...every meal and what you eat. Your workouts in terms of running with time and if possible speed as in distance and time it took you to accomplish it.

I bet the other iron sisters will drop by to give you feedback.

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 04-06-2005, 03:16 PM
crabs should change his/her status!
Stranger

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. For breakfast I usually eat cereal or half a peanut butter sandwich, and then have a snack inbetween then and lunch. I eat at 6 am so I snack on a granola bar aound 9:30, and then drink a liter of water till lunch. For lunch I eat different things everyday. I like wraps, so I'll scramble up 2 some eggs with cheese and mushrooms and eat it in a tortilla shell--mabye a few table spoons of oatmeal for desert. I usually run around 3 and have a snack at 4, which usually consists of 3/4 cup of plain yoghurt with a little bit of flax. For dinner I eat whatever mom makes. We usually have salad--salad with chicken, cheese, avocados, salsa, tomatoes, ranch dressing, and little pepito nuts. I usually have a cookie or somethign after that.
For running I usually make 2.75 miles in 30 minutes, and do about 15 minutes of stretching, squats, lunges and pliametrics. At night I do assorted ab work for 10 or 15 minutes. Thats my usual work out day about 3 or 4 times a week.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:27 PM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

Crabs, I suggest you check the 13 week fat burning diet and workout. Here you will see a more specific structure in terms of exercise and diet that can be customized. You will see the specific amounts of food you have to eat and exercises to use.

We measure everything we eat to make sure we eat everything our bodies need.

You also need to determine your maintenance calories to have a starting point for the menus in terms of calories per day.

We have an excel spreadsheet here at abc..It will ask your age, weight, body fat% *can be left blank*, your height, and your activity level.

Check the articles under the nutrition tab.

Then, you can have a better idea of where you stand and where you need help.

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 04-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Trackbunny should change his/her status!
Middleweight

^^ I completely agree with amazon, but I wanted to make a few points

-peanut butter sandwich =bad news. whey and oatmeal plus flax is better for breakfast to start of with.

- with eggs be careful. When I eat eggs I eat 1 whole egg and 4 whites.

-cheese is another no-no as well as ranch dressing. If you eat salad I suggest 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar plus however much olive oil (EFA) you need. You can buy really yummy olive oil dressings that contain no carbs.

-6 meals, equal spacing etc etc

-go easy on the avocado. while it is good, it's not ideal.

Balance and consistency are the keys for your weight loss. I suggest getting your nutrtion down. Perhaps starting a journal so you can track your own progress and other members can chime w/ corrections/comments/and encouragement.

A balance of cardio and weight training will help you loose fat. You can seperate the two on different days. Whatever you do DO NOT SOLELY TRAIN LEGS.

Good luck, it's up to you.
Tap into it and glory is yours.
</font>http://www.stickernation.com/uaimage...thalfassed.gif
Old 04-10-2005, 07:24 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Good posts, Trackbunny, and Amazon (yet again!) I really don't think that women should ever really be concerned with getting "bulky" from weight training. It takes a ton of work, dedication and chewing :-) (in the gym and in the kitchen). Don't be concerned with trying not to look like a Pro. Most of them have been training for many years, and most professionals also take steriods. Also, only certain people have the ideal genetics...
Closed Thread