Leg Curl Variation - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Default Leg Curl Variation

What's up, women? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

This week I did a hamstring curl variation that I have never done before, and it gave me the most...well... interesting DOMS. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The very top and the upper outsides of my glutes are sore. I've never had that happen before. lol

So, here it is:

Decline Bench Dumbbell Leg Curl

With your head at the top and your feet at the bottom, lie face down on an abdominal crunch bench or a decline bench similar to this:

If possible, adjust the bench so that you are able to comfortably grab onto the foot pads with your hands. I used the highest decline possible, but I'm sure other angles would be great too.

If you have a partner (count your blessings [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) have them place a dumbbell vertically between your feet so that the top plate is secured on the soles of your feet. It is still possible to do this without a partner--trust me. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Just lay the dumbbell vertically on the floor, and position one foot on each side of the grip/handle between the two plates (you will literally be standing on the head/plate of the dumbbell that is on the floor. Then lie down on the bench and you are ready to begin. FYI: it will feel a bit unsteady on your first rep, but you can readjust your foot grip on the dumbbell at the top of the range of motion.

Now perform leg curls in the traditional fashion, making sure you do not rest the dumbbell on your glutes or your calves on your hamstrings in order to maintain constant tension throughout the movement. I try to dorsi flex my feet in order to recruit the gastrocs as little as possible, but to steady the dumbbell you will likely have to plantar flex at the bottom of the ROM in particular.

I find that you can't lift as heavy on this exercise (whether using a flat or decline bench), so I used it in a superset (with full barbell squats) to pre-fatigue my glutes and hams.

So, if you're looking for a change that might give you really uncomfortable DOMS in a different aspect of your glutes, give it a try. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Old 03-12-2005, 06:50 PM
nozzle should change his/her status!
National Champion

Default Re: Leg Curl Variation

I've tried this before. But, I couldn't get the dumbbell situated so that it didn't fall out by the time I got on the bench. The dumbbells were not wide enough or something. The gym I'm at now has better dumbbells for this. I'll have to give it a try.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:54 PM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

i do this all the time! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] this is my decline db leg curl, when its listed in my journal!
Old 03-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Tory should change his/her status!

I did this yesterday with a slight variation. Used a swiss ball on the end of a flat bench. Positioned the dumbell while standing up--that was comical(guys around me literally stopped in mid curl and watched). Leaned over the ball, grabbed the bench, moved into plank position and away we go. The ball really makes you engage your core and I didn't feel any stress on my elbow(currently injured). 3 sets of 8 and I was completely done in.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:59 AM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

Ooohhhhh! This sounds as good as eggs and steak for breakfast!!! Ooohhh! I will try Tuf's and Tory's versions! *Drool...on the exercise*

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 03-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Great advice tuf!!!

You can do it with a dumbbell, or cables by using ankle attachments. This feels different than the machine because you can work one leg at a time.

It is hard to position the dumbbell alone. I've done it hanging by a pull up bar and curling the dummbell up...that was weird. lol

Here is from mine and Prez's article on hamstrings:

Session 4:
Dumbbell Super Leg Curls - 3 sets

Begin by positioning facedown on a flat bench so the knees are just above the bottom edge.

If assistance is available, have a partner grab a dumbbell, and holding it vertically, place it between the feet so that the bottom side of the top plates is resting on the soles of the feet.

Next simply accomplish leg curls in the typical fashion, holding the feet together so the dumbbell does not slip out. The concept is two-fold. As the athlete is forced to plantar flex the foot in order to keep the dumbbell in place, this exercise has a texture nothing like that of a standard leg curl on a machine.

This movement is a super leg curl and also works the calves due to this action.

If a partner is not available, place the dumbbell on the ground, and perform the movement lying on the ground. This will allow a solo worker to grasp the dumbbell unaided.

Old 03-20-2005, 06:33 AM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

[ QUOTE ]
Here is from mine and Prez's article on hamstrings:

[/ QUOTE ]
That is what gave me the idea to try this. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Closed Thread