sorry- but i need help again... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 11:01 AM
skinnymuscles should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default sorry- but i need help again...

Ok i posted on this forum about a week ago but things have changed since then. I am 18 years old, Senior in high school, trying to gain about 10 more pounds before college next year. (I have already gained 20 pounds since an E.D./over exercise problem) I am currently 96 pounds. I have been eating around 1400 calories a day and my weight gain has plateaued.(i think the only reason i was gaining before was because my metabolism was shot) But my trainer sat me down yesterday and said that I need to gain this last 10 pounds, and stop putting it off. Here comes the scary part... we got my body fat tested by the calipers, and it was only 5%. I didn't think that was right, so we got it tested again at a medical facility (where they do this scan thing across your whole body for bone density and it also does body fat like 100% accurately) and it was in fact 5% body fat. So, I guess i really do need to gain some more weight fast. But I'm really scared because me trainer is going to put me on a prescribed diet with 2100 calories, 51% carbs, only 19% protein, and 30% fat!!! I dont mind the 2100 calories, but I completely disagree with the ratios. I wanted more protein but he said this puts me at about 100 grams, which is over 1 gram per pound and more than enough. But 30% fat is like 70 grams of fat.... isn't that overkill for a 96 pound female? I wanted to get some of your experts opinion on this. I don't really have a choice to negotiate with him, but I dont think he is right. He is also making me drink 20 oz of accelerade ( 40 grams high glycemic carbs and 10 grams whey protein) during my weight training (i dont do ANY cardio!) . Then ANOTHER high carb shake with a little protein right after. Am i going to gain any muscle on this or all fat? Is he wrong or am I over-reacting about the ratios?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:14 AM
Fireproof should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: sorry- but i need help again...

50/20/30 C/P/F ratio is actually not bad for muscle building. If you are going to argue about anything, it should be the protein and carbs - not the fat. 30% fat is a good amount. Keep in mind that he should be instructing you on WHICH fats to eat. We need healthy fats to grow. Fats DO NOT make you fat. Especially unsaturated fats. Unused carbs are more likely to make you fat.

The 2100 calories sounds good and will be required for weight gain. Though my approach would've been to gradually increase your 1400 calories by 300 calories per week rather than a big jump. But then again, I've not dealt with E.D. situations.

On the ratios, 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fats is a good ratio for weight gain, especially if you don't have a 'fat problem' which you certainly don't at 5% bodyfat. You could stand to eat a bit more protein (most bodybuilders try to target 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean bodyweight). But those ratios are good to start with.

The PWO shake could be better constructed, but the general idea of whey protein with high-glycemic carbs is right.

So, I thiink you are over-reacting. You will probably do fine on this and gain some decent muscle. And besides, even if HALF of your 10 pound weight gain goal is FAT, you will still be under 10% bodyfat which is extremely lean for a woman.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Stranger

thanks for your reply.. that makes me feel a little better. Im still a little worried though but I guess there is nothing i can do and i should just try it out.... Its just that right now I am probably taking in 20-25 grams of fat... going to 70 grams is quite a bit...
Old 02-19-2005, 08:05 PM
nozzle should change his/her status!
National Champion

Just remember what Fireproof said. You NEED healthy fats. You are currently only getting about 15% of your calories from fat. This isn't enough! Eating healthy fats, in proportion to your calorie level, isn't going to make you fat.

You'll do great!

p.s. You may want to consider starting a journal. You can post your workouts and diet as often as you want. You'll learn so much about how your body reacts to different diets and exercises. And, many people will stop by and offer great advise.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Stranger

i thought i would update you guys on my meal plan. I talked to him, and we re-configured.... I think what we decided on is about 2000 calories/ 130 grams protein (which i think is enough for my weight, right? should i increase this?) / a little over 200 grams carbs and 35-40 grams of fat... we will up it if I need to. What do you think? I feel a little more comfortable with this.

Breakfast 7:30
cup dry oatmeal
1 cup soy milk
cup egg whites
banana
1 tablespoon peanut butter

Snack 10:30

These protein bars called jay robb bars http://www.jayrobb.com/jayroorpebub.html that I have not had before but he wants me to use as a snack because he says they are 11 grams good fats from almond butter" What do you think?

Lunch
3/4 cup oatmeal with chopped apple
Mixed veggies
tuna fish or 1 cup egg whites

3:00-4:00 workout- Shake
Accelerade (spors drink with 40 grams high glycemic carbs/10 grams whey protein) (he is making me drink this)

Post workout: 4:30
Myoplex Lite shake
sweet potato

Pre- Bed 7:30
1 oz almonds OR 1 whole egg and oz almonds
1 cup cottage cheese
3 cups cauliflower
Old 03-01-2005, 04:52 PM
X-Factor should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

I did'nt know chicks could get E.D [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]....sorry prolly not a joking matter...don't drink your shake during your workout, water only....the whole point of our PWO shake is Gastric Emptying... http://abcbodybuilding.com/windowofopportunity.php read this, make a copy for your PT, he could learn a thing or 2 from the mods....He will agree surely after reading, and is completely stupid if he does'nt....I would drop the accelerade (he prolly works for them) push your meals back a bit slip in a sweet potatoe and a chicken breast in pre-workout an hour or so before....then replace then replace your myoplex and potato with the link I provided, you absolutely do NOT want complex carbs PWO...you want simple....you want to restore muscle glycogen...not doin so will be risking huge muscular loss...and a loss of muscle building opportunity.....hope this helped....and oh boy are you over reacting...he seems smarter than most trainers...however make sure you bump your cals up once you stop puttin on weight...
Old 03-02-2005, 09:10 AM
nozzle should change his/her status!
National Champion

Hey girl! I'd make a few changes to your diet.

1) Meal one should not have fat in it. You've starved your body all night and the fat will just slow digestion making it more difficult for your body to become anabolic instead of catabolic.

2)As X said, drink only water during your workout and change your PWO nutrition.

3)I still think you need more fat in your diet.

4)What time do you go to bed? If your last meal is at 7:30, I'm assuming it's somewhere around that time? If not, you need to eat a meal right before bed to keep your body anabolic as long into the night as possible.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:05 PM
X-Factor should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Good post Noz.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:34 PM
kwood34 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I'm not an expert but I agree with Noz's #3. I would try to work one or two tablespoons of flax seed oil in there. Its loaded with healthy fats. Also, be sure that your PB is actually natty PB. It has the healthy fats without the transfats.

Goodluck!
Closed Thread