dRu's Mass Building Routine - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 06:29 PM
dRu should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default dRu\'s Mass Building Routine

hello everyone, ive been going to this site for a long time but only decided to join today so i could post, before i get started if anyone could tell me how to put pictures in my signature thingy that comes after my posts that would help alot..thanx..

Measurements:
weight:150
height:6'0"
R Arm:13"
L Arm:13"
Waist:31"
R thigh:19"
L thigh:19"
Chest:38" (my tape measurer only goes up to 36" so i guess about 38" at least 37-1/2")

well here it is...my workout schedule

Day 1(Monday)

Chest

1-(Warmup-At least 15 reps)Dips--------------1 Set
2- (Warmup)Flat bench------------------------2 Sets
3-Flat bench fly's---------------------------2 Sets
4-Incline Fly's------------------------------3 Sets
5-Dumbell Flat Press-------------------------2 Sets
6-Flat Bench---------------------------------2 Sets
7-Incline Bench------------------------------2 Sets
8-Pec Deck-----------------------------------3 Sets

Abs(Sometimes I Superset Abs)

1-(*Look below for description)Ab Machine----4 Sets
2-Leg Raises---------------------------------3 Sets
3-Weighted Twisted Crunches------------------3 Sets

Day 2(Tuesday)

Biceps

1-Standing Barbell(or)Dumbell Curls----------2 Sets
2-Two Hand Cable Curls-----------------------3 Sets
3-Incline Dumbell Curls----------------------2 Sets
4-Preacher Curls-----------------------------3 sets
5-Concentration Curls------------------------3 Sets
6-Hammer Curls-------------------------------3 Sets

Triceps

1-Tri Pressdowns-----------------------------4 Sets
^^(Half Normal Grip/Half Reverse Grip)
1-Dumbell Kickbacks--------------------------3 Sets
3-One-Arm Extensions-------------------------3 Sets
4-Lying Dumbell Extensions-------------------3 Sets
5-Dips---------------------------------------3 Sets

Day 3(Wednesday)

Calves

1-Standing Calf Raises-----------------------4 Sets
2-Seated Calf Raises-------------------------4 Sets

Abs

1-Roman Chairs-------------------------------2 Sets
2-Reverse Crunches---------------------------4 Sets

Day 4(Thursday)

Back

1-Wide Grip Chins---------------------------3 Sets
2-Close Grip Chins--------------------------2 Sets
3-Bent Over Barbell Rows--------------------3 Sets
4-One Arm Cable Rows------------------------3 Sets
5-Pulldowns---------------------------------3 Sets
6-(Seated)Wide Rows to Chest----------------2 Sets

Shoulders

1-Standing Bent-Over Laterals---------------2 Sets
2-Upright Rows(Barbell)---------------------3 Sets
3-Front Dumbell Raises----------------------2 Sets
4-Reverse Overhead Dumbell Laterals---------2 Sets
5-Arnold Presses----------------------------2 Sets
6-Shrugs------------------------------------2 Sets
7-Seated One Arm Cross Cable Laterals-------3 Sets

Day 5(Friday)

Legs

1-Squats(i gradually incrase the weight)----6 Sets
2-Leg Curls---------------------------------4 Sets
3-Leg Presses-------------------------------4 Sets
4-Calf Raises-------------------------------4 Sets
5-Standing Calf Raises----------------------2 Sets
6-Reverse Calf Raises-----------------------2 Sets
7-Leg Extensions----------------------------2 Sets

Abs

1-Leg Raises--------------------------------4 Sets
2-Twisting Crunches-------------------------2 Sets

Day 6(Saturday)

Forearms

1-Reverse Preacher Curls--------------------4 Sets
2-Behind the Back Curls---------------------4 Sets

Trapezius

1-Shrugs------------------------------------4 Sets
2-Upright Rows------------------------------3 Sets
------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes if im not really feeling up to it i drop day 3 and/or 6,but i really try to get those days in.

I try to work every muscle in every way each workout. For example i work for width and mass in back. I also work for peak and mass in biceps, you get the idea..

in case you didnt notice i do 16 sets per major body part as encouraged by the Oak. With that in mind i work out my quads and hams as if they were one muscle...16 sets for both.

Using this schedule along with Nitro-Tech and Cell Tech Carb Control ive gained approximately 15 lbs. of pure muscle over the summer(my bodyfat has not gone up one percent)At the beginning of the summer i started out curling about 25 lbs. each arm and over these past few months i now curl 45 lbs. dumbells for a max of 8 sets.

I used to smoke about a pack every other day, and drink about 2-3 times a week to the point where i was drunk...ive stopped all that now,smoke free for 3 months,barely drink,and when i do i keep it to a minimum.

the only thing im not satisfied with is my bench which has not seemed to go up at all,i was able to bench 170 for one rep when i was 14,and i cant really do much more than that now as im 16.Ive noticed impressive gains in mass in my pectorals but no real improvement with my bench, oh well i will eventually break through this barrier i gues, iLL just work on my tri's and chest more.

I am now trying to eat 5 meals a day and as much as i can stuff in my mouth for the winter to bulk up....first time trying to bulk,so hopefully i can lose it when summer comes back around..

i was thinking about changing my schedule for the winter, using the one i just posted for the summer,and one for winter that is primarily for mass building exercises and more sets per exercise.

any encouragement,help,questions,or criticism is welcome and please give me feedback.. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

.....The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday.....
Old 09-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Stranger

Default Re: dRu\'s Mass Building Routine

sick.....hopefully i can get over this soon,stayed home from school today and missed 2 days worth of workouts...

had 4 grams of vitamin C these past 2 days and at least 2 very tall glasses of OJ...gotta get better,gotta start working out again

Old 09-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Stranger

well being that its winter im trying to bulk up so im eating 5 meals a day and as big as possible...

todays menu consisted of...

Meal #1:One bowl of grits in morning(should try and get 2 bowls)
Meal #2:One Roast Beef Sandwich(about 3/4 lbs. of roast beef)
Meal #3:One Tuna Fish Sandwich
Meal #4:Three Sun Dried Tomato Pizza Slices
Meal #5:Leftover Slice from #4 and 2 Bowls of Oatmeal

-Pre Workout-
Today is thursday so im doing back and shoulders....sadly i missed arms tuesday and my wednesday workout due to a cold...which im only starting to get over today.

-Post Workout-
I forgot to also mention that before today i havent worked out for a little over 2 weeks! this should never happen again as i have become noticably weaker, i had a hard time curling 45lb. dumbells to get them to the shoulder press position i could do shoulder presses with the 45lb. but not as many reps as i previously could...so i guess im never gonna rest that long again without working out at all.

----The reason i didnt work out is because i work out at home...i have a universal gym and it is in my garage and because of the hurricane in florida it caused a big storm in NY and flooded my garage therefore pausing my workouts for 2 weeks because water got all in my garage...----

I Noticed though that i could do wide grip chinups easier than before but i felt i didnt get a real good workout for my back, however shoulders were dead...i should maybe add some more chins in my back workout

Old 10-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Stranger

Today I got more Nitro Tech... :-) Legs are today but im pretty tired so im gonna eat in about an hour or 2 take a nap and then work out...i guess im not going out today,and its friday

Old 10-01-2004, 03:58 PM
getnbgr should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

First off welcome to ABC and it's great to see you starting a journal.

Your diet could use a little work. If you are bulking that is not nearly enough calories or meals. 6 meals would be better. (You don't need to gorge yourself at each meal but you need more calories than what you have listed) You need a good protein source in each meal. Grits? I didn't know that had grits in NY [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Meal one - Oats and eggs (a lot of people like whites only, boiled eggs are good) or some oats and whey protein in water. That is a lot of bread as well. Bread is not the best carb source. Keeping 100% whole wheat bread in one meal a day is okay on a bulk. None on a cut. Sweet potatos, oats and brown rice are better carb sources. You need some green veggies in there as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Meal #1:One bowl of grits in morning(should try and get 2 bowls)
Meal #2:One Roast Beef Sandwich(about 3/4 lbs. of roast beef)
Meal #3:One Tuna Fish Sandwich
Meal #4:Three Sun Dried Tomato Pizza Slices
Meal #5:Leftover Slice from #4 and 2 Bowls of Oatmeal

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Today I got more Nitro Tech... :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

:-( Nitro Tech is not your best product by a long shot. Straight Whey Protein is much better. Post workout the ideal mixture is whey protein/maltodextrin/dextrose/sodium. malto = complex carbs dextro = simple carbs. Under the nutrition tab there are great articles that will provide you a plethora of information. Here are a few starters -

Bodybuilders grocery list -
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...5&o=31&fpart=1

A must read - http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magaz...pportunity.htm

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magaz...lking_diet.htm

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magaz...cob_wilson.htm

You might consider looking at other journals where people are listing their diets for some ideas. There is also a thread at the top of the Nutrition forum that discusses the whey/malto/dextro pwo shake.

Good Luck and I will check in on you from time to time.....

http://www.tag-board.com/smilies/bowl.gif

********** getnbgr's Training Journal **********
Old 10-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Stranger

i understand my diet isnt actually the "ideal" diet for a bodybuilder...and the meals i stated that day were just the meals for that one specific day not what i eat on a daily basis...i hardly ever eat pizza but that pizza wasnt your typical cheese pizza(could get into specifics but i dont really find it necessary)but i dont really have the time to make a good breakfast like eggs in the morning before school,as it is i cant get to school on time so making a big breakfast would seriously hurt my grades...but when i do have eggs(which is every day i DONT have school) i usually have about 4 whole eggs and 2 whites,and sometimes bacon as well...but going to school and watching what i eat is EXTREMELY and i mean EXTREMELY difficult especially in the school i go to, its either a choice from dry pizza(no way id have pizza anyway),a hotdog,or from the local greasy diner so i usually end up eating chinese food like beef and brocolli.

and about the Nitro Tech... i understand alot of people have put this product down saying that it is not as effective as people say, but i have tried several protein products and i seem to have bad reactions to them, some i am allergic and sneeze alot after i take them,or i get an irritated throat or lips,and especially myoplex i took for a while and it would keep me up at nights with stomach cramps....and i would never take the INSTRUCTED amounts given by these products i had reactions to...and i was skeptical about nitro tech at first as well...but so far as ive been taking it for over a month regularly, ive seen great improvements over the other proteins ive been taking

so far all the supplements/vitamins i take on a daily basis are as listed below

6 grams of Glutamine
Multiple Vitamin
3 Servings of Nitro Tech
2 g of Vitamin C
1 g of B6(because i dont find i get enough in my regular diet)
2 Multiple Omega-3 Fish Oil+EFA Vitamin
----im going to start my second cycle of creatine soon also so i figured id add that in here as well

the nutritionist at my local healthfood store(which is pretty good friends with my father,so its safe to say i trust him to tell me what he feels i SHOULD take) told me that these are the only supplements i should be taking at my age(he was also skeptical about Nitro-Tech and its exaggerated claims, but as anybody will tell you, go with what works for you, and i find that Nitro-Tech works best for me)
----Do you think that there is any other supplements i should be taking as a 16 yr old other than the ones i have listed??

Thanks for taking the time out to offer your thoughts and encouragement and for actually caring enough to write.

P.S.----Talking to people im friendly with...especially my older brother by 3 years....people my age dont work out with as much intensity as i do....my workouts tend to go on for about 1 and a half hours....rarely stretching on to two(very rarely) but the amount of sets seems to be alot compared to others...maybe im over-training but ive seen pretty good gains with this amount of intensity and no decrease in mass(as i read that training over 1-1/2 hours leads to loss in muscle mass)I only ask this because its not like i dont enjoy working out(i love it) but if i could be spending less time in the gym and seeing better results then it would obviously be better. i know your not the all knowing-guru of bodybuilding but i figured i might as well ask your opinion on topic....after all ive only been working out regularly for 6 months and im only 16 so im trying to get as much input as possible...thanks

Old 10-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Stranger

after reading some of the articles you told me to look at(getnbgr) i had one question about the "window of opportunity" article...it says that you should take a carb-protein supplement within 30 mins post workout....but as far back as i can remember i thought it was bad to have anything after you workout that you need to digest because your body cant recover from the workout effectively when your body has to digest, i know that simple carbs digest faster than complex but i thought ANYTHING right after you workout is bad if you have to digest it....im probably just reading the article wrong...and it sounds like a very interesting subject and i really would like to know more about it...if you know anything more ANYBODY please enlighten me this subject interests me very much.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:42 AM
getnbgr should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Your grades should come first always. Nobody said it is easy for someone in school or someone who works full time. With that there are always ways to squeeze in a quick meal. For instance boil some eggs the night before for the next morning, oatmeal takes seconds. Some whey protein and oats in water makes a decent inexpensive meal in a pinch (especially if you are in a hurry). I did say bread was not the best carb source but school is where you would want to pack a sandwhich for a solid meal. I have one meal a day that is usually tuna, chicken or turkey on whole wheat (I avoid deli meats because of the high sodium content), add some celery with Natural peanut butter. Preparing meals ahead of time is the trick. Again Chinese isn't your best choice either bringing something from home would be better and probably less expensive.

Supplements look fine again there are a lot of articles under the nutrition tab but you have basically what most people here use. I still don't care for the Nitro-tech product but I'm not going to harp on it. Typical list which you pretty much already have -

Creatine, glutamine, multi-vitamin, EFAs (I like flax seed oil), ZMA is another popular sup that you don't have listed (I don't use it), post workout - Whey protein, maltodextrin, dextrose, sodium.

One and a half hours is fine for a workout IMO. Just make sure you're taking in enough calories and getting enough rest in. I've had a few 2 hour workouts but I don't let it happen to often.

Directly after you workout is the best time to absorb nutrients. There is an hour to an hour and a half directly after a resistance workout where your muscles are screaming to have spent glycogen replaced. It is the best time to put some fast digesting protein, carbs, and supplements into your system. Recovery from an intense workout can take 48 to 72 hours. Eating directly after a workout will not effect recovery it will aid in it. Remember recovery takes place during rest.

http://www.tag-board.com/smilies/bowl.gif

********** getnbgr's Training Journal **********
Closed Thread