D'Arcy's Training Journal - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Online Training Journal

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 12:05 PM
darcy should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default D\'Arcy\'s Training Journal

So I'm finally going to start a journal. It seems like a great way to get some feedback. I'll try to update it on a fairly regular basis... but I do get lazy/forgetful/bored quickly(attention span of a gerbil)/busy/etc...

A little about me...
I've been lifting for a few years, mostly to help me as a fighter. About 3 months ago I started making some changes to my diet (more calories) and supplementing to start making some gains. So I've decided that I'd like to start getting serious about bodybuilding.

My Stats...
5'10"
190lbs
17% bf (tested about 5 weeks ago, seems really low to me though...)
I had my measurements taken at the same time that I had my bodyfat tested but I can't remember them... I'll dig them up on Wednesday when I'm back at the gym and I'll post them.

Diet...
Right now I'm on a bulk, and what a bulk! This is by no means a clean bulk. I'm avoiding unnecessary sugars so as not to spike my insulin, but aside from that... pretty much anything is fair game! I'm aiming for about 500-600g carbs and 250-300g protein. It's been working so far, I've put on roughly 15lbs in the last 5 weeks... some of that is definetly bodyfat, but by no means all of it...and yes, I'm preparred to work very hard come cutting time. I plan on bulking until February (it's way too late to cut for summer now anyways...)

Supplements...
Creatine (loading again this week)
L-GLutamine
Multi-Vitamins
ZMA
Whey
Stopped taking Tribulus after about a month of use...
Stopped taking Niacin... the pump was amazing, but the flush was distracting in the gym
Waiting for my order of Dextrose and Malto to arrive, should be here any day...

Routine...
I had been doing a basic 5 day split for the first month or so just to get back into it since I had been off for a while.
I just started the "24 Workout Mass Blitz" yesterday... what a great workout! I've never felt a pump like that in my delts before!! I've got some vacation coming up for 2 weeks mid August, but I'm pretty sure that I'll have a gym to go to while I'm away... luckily I have a great girlfriend who is very supportive, and quite knowledgable, so that helps.

So today is day two of the Mass Blitz. Rest day.

I'll update soon, please don't hesitate to comment, critique, etc...

Thanks! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2004, 05:20 PM
getnbgr should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Default Re: D\'Arcy\'s Training Journal

Sounds like you have a great start.... welcome aboard....

http://www.tag-board.com/smilies/bowl.gif

********** getnbgr's Training Journal **********
Old 07-27-2004, 05:59 PM
diamondtim should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Welcome

The pain of discipline is always less than the pain of regret!!!

my old pics
My workout journal

Ecclesiastes 7:5
It is better to heed a wise man's rebuke than to listen to the song of fools.

Height 6'0" Goal 6'0"
Weight 238Lbs Goal 200LBS
Body fat 28% Goal 10%
Old 07-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Stranger

So it's the 2nd day following the back, bicep, and forearm workout. I've got unreal doms in my bis and upper back, it feels great!
I haven't had a chance to post this since then, so I'll try to remember the weights I used... I should have written it down while I was there, but ya know...

Wide grip pull ups
10,8,6 followed by 5 reps of 5sec negatives
Close grip pull ups
8,8,8 followed by 5 reps of 5sec negatives
Seated cable rows
150x12 superset with Bent over dumbbell laterals 40x8
135x10 superset with Bent over dumbbell laterals 35x8
135x8 superset with Bent over dumbbell laterals 30x6
Concentration curls
Double drop set 35x8,30x10,25x12
Turns out I wasn't quite doing a concentration curl... I had my elbow resting against my knee. I'll correct this next time.
Standing barbell curls
60x10,60x8,70x6
Used 1 cheat rep after each set to failure
1sec up and 2secs down
Lying dumbbell curls
35x12,30x10
After checking under the excercise tab, it looks like I was doing these on a bit more of an incline than I should have, so I'll fix that next time
Slight Incline Hammer curls
2 sets of single drop set 30x12,25x8
1sec up and 3secs down
Behind the back wrist curls
Double drop set 60x15,60x15,60x15
Single drop set 60x12,50x12 with some serious cheating on reps 9,10,11, and 12 [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

What a great routine! I'm really feelin it today in my bis and back, theres a bit of soreness in my forearms, but I rarely gets doms there...

One thing that I'm realizing now is that I really haven't been pushing myself hard enough... it seems like my biceps fatigue almost immediately (note the 25lbs curls above... ouch).
I guess I've been doing more of a powerlifter's routine, it was only about 2 or 3 months ago that I raised my reps above the 6-8 range.

Another thing is drop sets. I'm almost positive that I'm doing them right, but I couldn't find a description on any of the tabs... I've been basically just doing the sets back to back, no rest... is that it? Almost like a superset, but only with one excercise?

I'm a little choked because I missed leg day [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Just had way too much to do yesterday... worked late, had errans to run... I know, too many excuses. I'll try to make it up today, but I have a feeling that it's going to be the same kind of day... But don't start thinking that I'm just making excuses and I'm one of those guys who doesn't train legs!! I'm a kick boxer, remember? I've got a 725lb leg press [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Anyways, if anyone actually read all the way through this monster post, thanks! I'll update as soon as I can.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Stranger

Saturday was the 2nd chest, shoulder, and tricep day so far on the routine. I'm house-sitting with my girlfriend at her aunt's house until mid next week, luckily there's a Fitness World close by so I can use my membership there.
Here's how my workout went:

Flat bench press
215x7,255x6,215x6 stripset to 135X4 superset with Flat bench flys 35x12
This location didn't have a decline bench so I had to switch it up for the flat bench. My second set at 255 was too much to get the "explosiveness" that is described in the routine, so I dropped it back down to 215 on the last set.
Seated shoulder press
Ascending set
10x8,20x8,25x8,30x8,40x8 then 30,25,20,10 each to failure
These ascending sets are unreal! I've honestly never gotten a pump in my delts before this! Shoulder press has always been a weak movement for me, this should help that problem...
Standing side laterals
Double drop set 40x8,30x10,20x12
Single drop set 35x8,25x10
Behind the back dips
90x10,90x10,135x8,135x6,135x6 strip to 90 to failure

I felt pretty good about this workout afterwords. I feel that I could have stacked a bit more weight on my lap for the dips though.

My girlfriend wanted to come along with me and follow the routine that I was doing. She's in excellent shape but never works with heavy weights, usually just 5 or 10lbs and lots of cardio, so I was surprised to see her put up 115lbs on the bench press for 6 reps! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Most of my buddies can't bench their body weight for 6 reps!
Old 08-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Stranger

I'm starting to think that this was maybe not the best time to start an 8 week program... this week is difficult because of the house-sitting, but still managable, but then I've got 2 weeks vacation starting next week... the first week will be alright, but the second week I'll be camping... I guess I'll be taking a bit of a break. I'll most likely start the program over again when I get back from vacation, as opposed to resuming where I left off...

I still haven't gotten a copy of the measurements that I had taken about 5 weeks ago... I do remember that I have a 15" bicep, but that's about it. I measured my forearm yesterday and it's 14" flexed. Next time I'm at the gym by my house I'm going to get my measurements taken again to see if I've made any gains over the last 5 weeks... I better have! I'll post them once I get it done...

The only thing that is lacking lately is my diet. My intensity in the gym has been great, but I really need to buckle down and start planning my meals in advance. I know I'm not getting the food that I need...

My goals/plans for now are:

Bulking until February, then I'll take a week off and start my cut around the second week of February, that'll give me a good amount of time to get my bodyfat right down before the weather gets too nice for a shirt...
I started my bulk at 190lbs and I hope to be atleast 215lbs by the end of my bulk.
I'll probably try the 13 week diets/training program during my cut.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:30 PM
CoLDTuRKeY should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Nice workout. Good luck.
Height - 6'2"
Bench - 440 lbs
Squat - 505 lbs.
Dead Lift - 545 lbs.
Power Clean - 315 lbs.

My Training Journal

Proverbs 3: 25-26...
Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked,when it cometh. For the Lord shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.

Old 08-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Stranger

Well, the house sitting has made it hard to get to the gym, so after 4 days off [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I I finally mad it in for the second back, bicep, and forearm workout. I really don't like this gym though... no pull-up bar??!! So I substituted lat pull-down for the wide and close grip pull-ups.

Wide grip pull-downs
120x12,150x10,130x8 with 5sec negatives on the last 2 reps of each set
Close grip pull-downs
130x12,130x10,130x8 with 5sec negatives on the last 2 reps of each set
Seated cable rows
130x12,150x10,150x8 last set superset with Seated bent-over flys 12x35 then 2 more sets 25x10,20x8
Concentration curls
Double drop set 30x12,25x10,20x8
Standing barbell curls
95x10 (could even cheat out the last 2 for 12 reps)
75x10,75x8 form was much better on these last 2 sets. 1sec up and 2secs down
Lying dumbbell curls
Single drop set 30x8,20x8 (was aiming for 12 reps on the first set but reached failure at 8)
Incline hammer curls
35x10

Called it quits after the first set of hammer curls and skipped the behind the back wrist curls. Didn't really want to quit, but I had to gt back to the house. Not to worried about it though, my forearms are a strong point.

Overall, not a bad workout, despite the adjustments that I had to make due to this gym's available equipment... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I can't wait to get back to my regular gym