Tips For Mom - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 05:05 PM
bombflower should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Tips For Mom

My mom is going to start losing weight. She said if the diet I made for my boyfriend works out for him then she wants me to make one for her. In the mean time, I told her to start eating healthy.

What are some basic guidelines I should have my mom follow if she's just starting out to lose weight? I know a lot already, but I was hoping for some advice from those that have already helped out a mom with losing weight.

I don't know if she'll want to start exercising just yet, but I will see.

The doctor told her that for her height an ideal weight would be 120. I told her 120 was crazy because I'm 140. She said then I should probably be 115, but I know this isn't true because I got down to 115 before and everyone was saying I was too thin. Besides, I would much rather be a 140 with more muscle than I have BF and fit into a size 5 than be 115, with more fat than muscle and fit into a size 5. Anyways....

She said she would be happy if she got to 160. The doctor also told her to take it slow. That she should start off losing 20 pounds as a first goal and see how she does and then lose more from there. He told her she needs to lose 100 pounds, so I am guessing she's somewhere around 220, maybe more or less.

So again, any advice would be great. She does have high blood pressure, which I assume will go down once she loses weight.
Weight: 140
Squat Max: 225
Bench Max: 120

My training & diet journal
My bodyfat % and weight chart
My fitday account
Old 07-30-2004, 05:25 PM
mrExtreme should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Default Re: Tips For Mom

I would have your mom start eating healthy at her maintenance calorie levels for a week or two, and then subtract 250 calories from her maintenance level after that time period. Lets say her maintenace level is 2500 calories. Take 250 from 2500 and her new daily caloric intake will be 2250. If she isn't losing weight by then, then you can subtract another 250 calories and she will eat 2000 calories a day. Since she doesn't exercise I'm not exactly sure what P/C/F ratio you should use, but I'd go with a moderate protein, high carb, low fat ratio. Maybe something like 30/50/20.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
I would have your mom start eating healthy at her maintenance calorie levels for a week or two, and then subtract 250 calories from her maintenance level after that time period. Lets say her maintenace level is 2500 calories. Take 250 from 2500 and her new daily caloric intake will be 2250. If she isn't losing weight by then, then you can subtract another 250 calories and she will eat 2000 calories a day. Since she doesn't exercise I'm not exactly sure what P/C/F ratio you should use, but I'd go with a moderate protein, high carb, low fat ratio. Maybe something like 30/50/20.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the idea of finding the maintenance calories and I told her that we'll be doing that and she'll eat those for a week or so and then subtract calories, etc.

However, I'm not big on the carb ratio being higher than the protein ratio. I've always gone with a higher protein ratio over the carb & fat ratios.

Wouldn't it be better to have a ratio along the lines of 45/35/20? I'm not sure about the fats, if they should be higher or lower than the carbs also. Anyone else have suggestions on a proper ratio?

Also, she said she would like to start exercising but won't be able to afford a mem. at the YMCA here (it's something like $300+ a year). I suggested the community center in town, which I know is a lot cheaper. Just 25 or 50 cents a day if you're a non-member. She said she needs more than an aerobics class twice a week. She wants a routine where she'll be exercising at least 6 days a week, which the doctor suggested she do. He wants her to start walking 40 mins. a day 6 days a week, which seems like an awful lot of walking and is why I suggested she could lift every other day and do cardio every other day. I even told her muscle will burn more fat.

My fitday account
Old 07-30-2004, 07:10 PM
Profly should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Bomb,

I agree with you with a bit higher fats. I think this will keep her metabolism up and preserve the muscle mass she has. As for the exercising part. If she doesnt have the money for a membership. I would suggest the walking but light HIIT 3 to 4 times a week. I wouldnt expose her to lifting right away. It can be scary at first to jump into it.

For the first two weeks, walking 4 times a week. Then have her read the article on HIIT. Have her start the HIIT for 16 minutes with power walking, basically, 1 minute power, 1 minute easy. Do that for 3 or 4 weeks increasing time weekly. Then introduce some light HIIT style jogging starting at 16 minutes for 3 to 4 weeks. Then have she start thinking about lifting. Personally, I think if someone jumps in too fast and they do not see results right away, they get discouraged and give up. With these power walks and what not, change locvations as well. Change of scenery is good eye/ brain/ muscle stimulus.

My 2 bits,

GGG

Age: 33 (Old enough to know better, still too young to care)
Weight: 192 lbs
Height: 5'10"
BF: ~12%
Arm: 16.5"
Forearm: 14"
Chest: 46"
Waist: 33"
Thigh: 24.25"
Calve: 16"

Old 07-30-2004, 07:22 PM
Syddles should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

IMO I'd make her PCF ratios something among the lines of 40/40/20, 35/45/15, or some such like that and see how she responds. Granted, weight loss comes slower with a higher carb/lower fat approach, but it'll ensure she gets a good variety of quality grains, fruits, and vegetables if her goal is to lose weight and be healthy. It'll also give her a little more leeway as to what she can eat. If she's just starting, it's imperative she enjoys it so she doesn't feel horribly deprived. It'll help keep her motivated. Also, the weight loss tends to be more permanent if it's done with a moderate to higher amount of carbs. And if you get her exercising, the carbs will make it easier for her to build and maintain muscle mass, which'll speed up her metabolism. As for maintenance calories... I think if she's significantly eating above her maintenance right now, don't suddenly knock her down there. Lower it slowly.

[ QUOTE ]
She wants a routine where she'll be exercising at least 6 days a week, which the doctor suggested she do. He wants her to start walking 40 mins. a day 6 days a week, which seems like an awful lot of walking and is why I suggested she could lift every other day and do cardio every other day. I even told her muscle will burn more fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a lot for a bodybuilder, but from what I've learned, the more fat you have the more cardio you can afford to do if you're just starting to exercise. ANYTHING will work for a beginner (but remember nothing will last forever). As she starts to lift weights, she'll gain LBM even though she's walking. And walking at a low intensity won't be very detrimental to LBM gains for her. I'd start her out at 30-40 mins a day, 3-4 times a week, unless she can feel like doing what the doctor prescribed her. Otherwise progress to it. After that, gradually progress the intensity as she adapts.

With resistance training, emphasize muscle groupes like the back, chest, and legs using core/multijoint exercises (such as squats, bench press, and lat pulldowns) in the beginning, but keep it fun and give it some variety. They're the largest muscle groupes, so if you build them, you build more muscle (and the smaller muscles are involved as well, so they'll build with them). Gradually progress as she adapts here too, and then add in some exercises for the extremities. Since she has high blood pressure, try to keep her head higher than her heart and avoid isometrics and exercises using heavy resistance (at least until the blood pressure drops). And encourage her to breathe from the diaphragm, and never let her hold her breath.

[ QUOTE ]
She does have high blood pressure, which I assume will go down once she loses weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. This is also why the walking is important (strength training doesn't lower blood pressure as well as aerobic activity). But if she has adverse exercise responses, then stop.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:04 AM
Super-Heavyweight

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone! It's going to help a lot!

Anddd, I just found out that my mom's blood pressure has actually dropped! She'll only need to take her BP pills every other day from now on until it gets even lower. Could this have something to do with her cutting out salt and drinking more water??

My fitday account
Old 08-01-2004, 02:48 AM
Syddles should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
Could this have something to do with her cutting out salt and drinking more water??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Read this.
Closed Thread