Increasing Speed while Running - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 06:50 PM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

Default Increasing Speed while Running

What kind of strategies do you use in your workouts to increase your speed? I have found myself hitting a wall in terms of my running and I am wondering what kind of strategy I could use to break through my current plateu. I have added intervals of high intensity and then periods of recovery *which I have shortened*, changed the challenge of the routes that I run, added sprints at the end of the workout (100 meters to 400 meters, at max speed). What else do you gals do?

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 06-15-2004, 07:07 PM
NutMeg is sleepy
Mr. Universe

Default Re: Increasing Speed while Running

Hills! Have you heard of Fartlek?

[ QUOTE ]
Step-down Fartlek. Try running hard for 5-, 4-, 3-, 2-, and 1-minute bursts with equal amounts of easy running for recovery. As your fartlek segments shorten, pick up the pace accordingly. And as your fitness improves, increase the length of the first segment (up to 10 minutes), while keeping the rest of the 4-3-2-1 series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fartlek is usually the same thing only starting 1, then 2, then 3...

also, cross-train... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] try the stairstepper or bike...
Old 06-15-2004, 07:43 PM
sage63 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Sounds like the things you are doing will work...also what Nutmeg said...hills, intervals, fartleks, tempo runs...

check out www.runnersworld.com for articles on increasing your speed. They should have several good ones for new ideas or further explainations of these terms.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:46 AM
bigpoppadiesel should change his/her status!
Middleweight

when i was good at track i use to run with ankle weights. than id increase the distance. then id shorten the distance but add more weight. also i use to jump rope, than id jump rope with ankle weights etc. by then my endurance was insane. hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:58 AM
littleamazon is praying and loving in action, word, deed and thought by the Grace of God
National Champion

You see, when I ran at the beach, taking the proper precautions, it helped a lot on my speed and strenght..but now, I am 3 hours away from the closest one. :-(

Thanks for the great suggestions! I have been to runnersworld before

How do you use the jump rope bigpoppadiesel?

Amazon

- St. Dominic Savio (1842-1857)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...n/Mercy50K.jpg
We must pray without tiring, for the salvation of mankind does not depend on material success, nor on sciences that cloud the intellect. Neither does it depend on arms and human industries, but on Jesus alone.

- St. Frances Xavier Cabrini (1850-1917)
Old 06-16-2004, 07:04 PM
bigpoppadiesel should change his/her status!
Middleweight

are you trying to increase stamina or sprint speed? i was a sprinter but i had to run upwards of 5 miles a practice at the beggining of each soccer practice. the way that i did it was that i would work out with weights and stuff. than every night i would either run on a treadmill or jump rope. for the treadmill when i first started training in the offseason id run a mile. than once i got my lungs id make it like 1.1 miles, than 1.2 miles the next night. once i got to like 1.5 miles i started increasing the speed of the treadmill. than after i increased that enough i would start using ankle weights. as for jumping rope you have to remember not to slack. on jump rope nights i would start off my offseason with like 100 jumps as fast as i could. than after awhile it would be 120 as fast as i could. etc etc till i got to like 500. than i would start jumping for time as long as i could like 4 minutes than 5 etc. till i could jump for like 10 minutes as fast as i could. than after i got to 10 i put on ankle weights and jumped for 8 minutes but gradually built up to 10 again. it prolly took me about 2.5 months to get up to all of this stuff. any other questions u know where to find me
Old 06-16-2004, 11:23 PM
mama2Six should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I would try running slower, longer for a while. Build up a bigger base for a few months. Then back down using faster runs. As with anything - you need to shock your body into change, it wants to stay as is.
Good luck :-)
Amy
1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Remember that in a race everyone runs, but
only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you
will win. [25] All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a
prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. [26] So I run
straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who
misses his punches. [27] I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to
do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself
might be disqualified.

Old 06-17-2004, 03:38 PM
noodlejr should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

if speed is what you need, work that hamstring.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:18 AM
CRaVe should change his/her status!
Middleweight

i do fartlek for my personal trainning programe at school its just running and changing speeds lol , i hate it [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] i wish i picked interval
Closed Thread