alternatives to pull ups and parallel dips - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 07:46 PM
ashrobo should change his/her status!

Default alternatives to pull ups and parallel dips

Hey everyone,

Not sure if anyone still remembers me, haven't dropped by for some time (and yes, my bodyfats % had increased by quite a bit). [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I am currently on my 3rd week in the 13 Weeks to Hardcore Fat Burning program, and I just did my Chest, Back and Shoulders workout on Monday. The first and second exercises were Parallel Dips and Pull ups and I can't do them for nuts, not even once. There are no assisted dips and pull up machines in the gym and I work out alone. Hence I need some alternatives to these 2 exercises. Anyone has a clue? Thanks lots!

// ashrobo
Old 06-15-2004, 08:22 PM
steakzilla should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: alternatives to pull ups and parallel dips

mabey put a stool under you, so you can help with your legs, and if that is still hard, focus on resisting the negitives.
Just my thoughts
Old 06-15-2004, 09:49 PM

thanks steakzilla.

i've tried finding information on the negatives, but i couldn't find any explanation or illustration.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:11 PM
WatchTheHands should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
i've tried finding information on the negatives, but i couldn't find any explanation or illustration.

[/ QUOTE ]

The negative phase of a lift or exercise is the second half, where you are returning to the starting position. So on a pull up or dip, it would be when you are lowering yourself. For pull ups, put a bench, stool, barnyard animal, whatever, underneath you so you can easily lift yourself into the peak part of the exercise, where your chin is above the bar. From here, bend your legs up so you aren't supporting yourself with whatever object, and fight gravity on your way down. Keep on doing them until you can't any longer. They are great for building strength, and have helped me up my chin up numbers in the past. Good luck! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://www.wtep.org/WTEPdata/Images/...0.01.18.46.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...anandron98.jpg
Ron Thal (Cartman shirt, needs a shower) and myself (flannel, needs a shower AND a haircut) in Nice, France; 1998 tour.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:15 PM
Faith should change his/her status!

I can only do two pullups by myself then I do the negatives. At first I thought this was totally lame but if you really focus on holding your body as it goes back down you will really feel it in your lats the next day. I get a much better lat workout doing negatives than I do with pulldowns.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:44 AM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The negative phase of a lift or exercise is the second half, where you are returning to the starting position. So on a pull up or dip, it would be when you are lowering yourself. For pull ups, put a bench, stool, barnyard animal, whatever, underneath you so you can easily lift yourself into the peak part of the exercise, where your chin is above the bar. From here, bend your legs up so you aren't supporting yourself with whatever object, and fight gravity on your way down. Keep on doing them until you can't any longer. They are great for building strength, and have helped me up my chin up numbers in the past. Good luck! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep! if i need to, i just kind jump/hop up to the pullup bar and then slowly lower my body then repeat!
Old 06-16-2004, 09:49 PM

thanks everyone!

but I thought doing so (during negatives) will just make the forearms do all the work, and my grip is bad so I tend to get to the ground in split seconds.

oh for parallel dips, are negatives the doing down or coming up part? i have more difficult going down (i.e. bending my arms) than straightening my arms.

really appreciate all the help! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2004, 10:58 PM
steakzilla should change his/her status!
Lightweight

The negative part is still the "going down".( Iv heard that befor ??) I would guess you probably have a easier time going up because you haven't gone as far down as you should, or your using your tris to much
Closed Thread