Weak Shoulders - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 12:59 PM
weighty should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Weak Shoulders

I started the 12-week fat loss program yesterday and my shoulders are so weak I can only lift 5 pounds doing a lateral side raise or shoulder press. I did a 12-week BFL program earlier this year and only got to 8 pounds for shoulders upon completion. What can I do to strengthen my shoulders? I feel like such a whimp when doing shoulder exercises. All other body parts I was able to successfully move up in weights, but not with the shoulders.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Patyal68 should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Re: Weak Shoulders

Try a static contraction at the end. This is what you do:
Do your sets normal (as indicated in the program). Don't worry about how much weight you lift but on doing the exercise with good form. Now when you are done with your last set, immediately drop the weight 20% and do 1 rep holding the contraction on the negative.

So, for the shoulder press, finish your last set with 5lbs, then pick a couple of db of 3-4lbs each and do 1 rep (extend your arms and contract), now hold the contraction for 30-45 secs. You will be amazed how this helps to increase weight the next time you do the same set.

So for raises, same thing. After you are done with the last rep with 5's pick 3-4 lbs and keep the arms raised holding the db for 30-45 secs.

Breath normally during the contraction. Let us know how you liked that.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:56 PM
Steel Warrior should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

start doing some military presses to gain strength
Old 10-25-2003, 03:41 PM
BlindFury should change his/her status!
Lightweight

shoulders are the easiest muscle to overtrain because they get hit on back day (rear delts) and on chest day (front delts).

i put mine on priority and i would hit them really hard on a day by themselves and they still wouldn't responds, so then i started training them after chest, and i only did 2 direct shoulder excercises (DB or BB military press and then laterals or upright rows). i think i'm getting better results this way.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:36 PM
Tuf should change his/her status!
Mr. Universe

Hi, Weighty and welcome to ABC! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here is a post that is full of advice that really helped me to gain strength and size in my shoulders:
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...rue#Post535337

Also, check out this program:
8 Weeks to Bigger Shoulders

Keep us updated on your progress! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">We taped a lot of famous pictures on the locker-room door: Bobby Orr, Potvin, Beliveau, all holding the Stanley Cup. We'd stand back and look at them and envision ourselves doing it. I really believe if you visualize yourself doing something, you can make that image come true...I must have rehearsed it ten thousand times. And when it came true it was like an electric jolt went up my spine.</font>
-Wayne Gretzky

http://www.rhondariley.com/009/thumbs/005.jpg
"When prepping for a show, I look at my body as my grade and the training and diet as my homework. If I do my homework I will get a good grade."
-Rhonda Riley

<font color="009999">Click Here for ABC's Forum Rules</font>
<font color="purple">Click Here for ABC's Index of Bible Studies</font>
Closed Thread