Where does a fat lady start? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 01:46 PM
weighty should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Where does a fat lady start?

I know all of you are advanced body builders, but I am 5'4", weigh 190 lbs with approximately 40% bodyfat and I am interested in weight lifting for weight reduction and toning. Where does someone like me start? I am also an older woman 48, but I am also determined. Should I continue to try to lose weight first then start weightlifting?
Old 10-20-2003, 01:51 PM
Patyal68 should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Re: Where does a fat lady start?

Welcome to abc!!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

First, not all the people here are advanced body builders, at least not me [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Also, there's more than one person in a similar situation than yours.

Check this thread, it might give you some ideas:
[ QUOTE ]
I am trying to help my fiance to get into shape as I am myself trying. She is having difficulty losing weight. She is 199lbs and want to be about 140 or 150. Can someone tell me what I need to do for this she is 25 years old 5-10 199lbs and 32%BF. <font color="green"> Suggest her to sign in abc so that she creates her own journal and post her own diets. That will help her to keep track on her progress. She also needs to do a loooot of reading of the articles here. </font>

This is her workout and meals. It has been two weeks and she only lost 1% of bf and no weight. she rotates upper body twice a week than legs twice a week the next. She does HIIT cardio and abs on non workout days tues, thurs, and sat. then she does 30 cardio on workout days.
<font color="green"> Considering the fact that she's been already working out, I suggest for her to follow this program:
12 weeks fat burning - the workout </font>
the diet

Her meals are like this&amp;#8230;.

Wake up at 8pm
30 cardio. <font color="green"> Is she working out on an empty stomach?? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Rule # 1: Never workout on an empty stomach. Since she's doing cardio, she needs to get at least a protein shake with EFA oils and work out 1 hour afterwards. I personally have been adding 1 cup of coffee to accelerate my heart-beat a little bit. She might want to consider that after a couple of weeks. </font>

9:00 PMMyoplex LITE MRP 25 prot. 20 carbs
<font color="green">Don't know how good or bad this protein is, but in my opinion it has too many carbs. I recommend to change to Optimum Nutrition, 1 scoop = 22g prot, with only 3g carbs. Since this is her Post workout meal for cardio, she needs to add complex carbs like oatmeal.
She also needs a multivitamin/multimineral, Vitamin C
</font>

11:30 PM 1 can tuna, 1 slice whole weat bread
<font color="green"> Replace the bread with a sweet potato. Add greens and EFA oils here. </font>

2:30 AM 2 pieces of cod 40 protein 0 carbs. 180 cl.
1 slice whole weat bread 3 prot. 14 carbs 90 cal
<font color="green"> Get off the bread. Replace with greens like brocolli/beans. Add leafy greens too and EFA oils </font>

5:30 AM 1 can tuna cott. Cheeses, 45 prot, 5 carbs 210 cal.
<font color="green"> Same as above, greens and EFA oils </font>

8:00 AM 1 myoplex lite prot. Bar 20 prot. 20 carbs. 190 cal.
<font color="green"> Get ridd off the protein bar. Bars usually have fructose and sugars. She doesn't need that. Better replace with a source of protein like chicken breast/lean meat/fish and add greens and EFA oils </font>

8:30 AM workout.

9:30 AM Post workout myoplex MRP
<font color="green">Again, not sure about this myoplex thing. She needs a protein shake with Maltodextrin, Dextrose and L-glutamine. She needs to prepare it and drink it according to the Window of Opportunity This post workout meal is different to the one after the cardio, so don't get confused.</font>

11:00 AM sleep
<font color="green"> She needs a pre-bed meal. Fat free cottage cheese, leafy greens and EFA oils are a good choice. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Some additional comments:
- She needs to read the articles I linked.
- She's missing a lot of greens.
- How much water is she drinking? She needs at least 2 tall glasses of water (about 20oz) with each meal, plus twice that before, during and after working out.
- She needs to plan a revised meal and post it in a journal for better track.
- Some of us keep our journals here. She/you might want to check the different journals in the Online journal or the HYPERplasia Challenge sections, for more reference and ideas. I can recommend Tuf's journal, she was on a cut and now is bulking but keeps very good track of her diet. I also keep mine and have been trackin my meals for the last 7 weeks, there's a link in my signature.
- About the cardio, choose HIIT over conventional cardio. Check the journals for some examples.
- She needs to add EFA oils in her diet (Omega 3, 6 &amp; 9). These are good fats and promote fat burning.
- Does she sleep during the day and work at night? I'm curious because you posted 8:00 pm wake up and 11:00 am sleep [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, check this thread: http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...o=&amp;fpart=1

Feel free to ask any questions.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:41 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Weighty - hi, and welcome to ABC! First let me say that you are not alone. We have all shapes, sizes, and ages here (I'm 46 myself), and we all support each other, no matter where we are in the journey. So you're in the right place.

Now, to answer your question. By all means go ahead and start working out now. The sooner the better. Something is always better than nothing. There's a pretty basic workout plan on this site called the 12-wk to Fat Burning Workout. You can read about it here . I don't know what your history with working out is (ie, have you ever done it before?), but this is a good place to start.

Are you a member of a gym, or working out at home? If you've never worked out before and just want to get a sense for your body and what certain moves feel like/work, then you might try starting with a few of the machines. They're good to help you get your form right and get a sense for how your body responds, but ultimately you'll want to incorporate free weights. With free weights, your body does ALL the work. With machines, you get a little help! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If you check up in the exercise tab above you'll find mini-videos that show you how to do the various exercises. These are also built into the 12wk workout article I posted above. If you look at those and still have questions, just post them here and we'll do our best to answer them.

I would encourage you to do something each day. The more muscle you carry, the higher your metabolism - and that's very beneficial to fat loss. Plus, at our age, we've got to really focus on weight-bearing exercise to keep our bones strong and healthy. So give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose but pounds and inches!

Good luck to you! I look forward to getting to know you! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2003, 02:49 PM
Fireproof should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Welcome to ABC. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Count calories. I know it's a pain, but it really helps you understand how much you are eating which can be compared to how much you burn. By burning more than you eat, you should lose weight. Also, by keeping track of what you eat, you can have the information to post here so we can better critique your diet and offer more informed suggestions for improvement.

2. Try to figure out what your maintenance calories are. The best method is to keep track of what you eat for 4 or 5 days, and then come up with a daily average. If you neither gained nor lost weight during that time, then that will be your maintenance. Read this article for other ways to figure out maintenance calories:
13 Weeks to Hardcore Fat Burning

3. Re-read the article above about three times. It contains TONS of useful information. Learn it!

4. Determine a calorie reduction plan based on the guidance in the article. Keys are eating the right macronutrients, eating often (6 times) during the day, etc, etc. It's all in there.

5. Read on this site about HIIT cardio (high intensity interval training). Plan to do about 3 sessions each week for 20-25 minutes each session.

6. Put together a weightlifting routine. NO - it's not too soon to start. By building muscle, you'll burn more calories at rest, which will contribute to your fat burning!! Nice, eh? Plus, when you lose the fat layer on top of the muscles, you'll reveal a new sexier, shapelier self underneath. Peruse this site for ideas on a weightlifting plan. But don't get overwhelmed!! IF you haven't lifted weights before at all, then just start slow. You might want to try some basic machines in the gym or use dumbbells, to get a complete body workout. Do this 3 times per week for a couple weeks until you get used to the weights, the exercises, etc. Then as your comfort level increases, you can move to other more complex routines.

Just keep reading posts, search the articles, and ask questions. If you are brand-new to all of this stuff, it can be overwhelming. If that's the case, then Bill Phillips book "Body For Life" contains a basic weightlifting, cardio, and nutrition plan that will cover the basics to get you started. Then as you learn enough to know what questions to ask, post them here and we'll continue to help.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Stranger

I did do BFL for 12-week, in January, so I had a little experience with lifting and was seeing some improvement, but the free day had me out of control (I am very carb sensitive when it comes to cravings). I saw the 12-week workout article and thought I would try that. I am so loose and jiggley from losing 50 lbs I don't know if I would ever be able to tone at my age, but I am willing to give it my best shot. Should I do the 12 week program or the 13 week hardcore&gt;
Old 10-20-2003, 02:55 PM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

since your more in the beginning stages of lifting, i suggest the 12 week program.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:59 PM
Fireproof should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
I did do BFL for 12-week, in January, so I had a little experience with lifting and was seeing some improvement, but the free day had me out of control (I am very carb sensitive when it comes to cravings). I saw the 12-week workout article and thought I would try that. I am so loose and jiggley from losing 50 lbs I don't know if I would ever be able to tone at my age, but I am willing to give it my best shot. Should I do the 12 week program or the 13 week hardcore>

[/ QUOTE ]

Either would be fine. The 13 weeks includes more shocking principles and is a bit more advanced. You might want to start with the 12 weeks.

One of the worst things in the BFL program is the cheat day. Most people don't know how to (or can't make themselves) have a controlled cheat meal. Usually it results in backtracking significantly. A cheat MEAL would be more reasonable, but only if it doesn't cause a downward spiral. And I would still only eat it if you know how many calories it contains. It's too easy to eat 3000+ calories in one meal without knowing it.

Anyway, glad you are here. Let us know how it goes!
Old 10-20-2003, 03:06 PM
Stranger

Thanks everyone,
Fireproof, I used the spreadsheet from your resource page. That will come in handy. I'll keep you posted because I know I will have questions along the way.

Closed Thread