DOMS - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 10:00 AM
sage63 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default DOMS

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I work out my upper body/arms as hard as I can, with as heavy of a weight as I can. I do 3 chest/3 back/3 shoulder/2 bi/2 tri exercises - 3 sets ea./12 reps as heavy as I can lift. By the last set, my form stinks at the end b/c I'm failing. I rarely have DOMS. Does this mean I'm not doing something right or that I'm not lifting heavy enough or that I'm not growing?

For example my last workout (yesterday):

3 sets of 15 full body pushups...one set plain, one set = right hand on medicine ball, one set = left hand on medicine ball

Bench Press: 70/75/80lbs
Incline DB Press: 3 @ 25lbs
Lat Rows: 3 @ 25lbs dbs
Lat Pulldowns: 3 @ 60 on freemotion cables (I think...my wo partner set the weight on this one.)
Cable Crossovers: 3 @ I forgot the weight on this one - same reason as above...wo partner set the weight)
Incline Rear Delt Raises: 1 @ 10lbs/2@8lbs
Front and Side Lateral Raises: 3 @ 8lbs (I do this w/ one arm in front and one to the side for each raise, alternating side to side.)
Arnold Presses: 3 @ 15
Supinating DB Curls: 3 @ 20
Cable Curls: 3 @ 25
DB French press: 3 @ 25
Assisted Dips: 3 on second to lowest asssist

Any suggestions? Should I do a split and work in more exercises per group 2x a week? I can only workout 3x a week so it would be M & F upper body parts, Tues, legs whatever.

TIA! You guys are great! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2003, 10:24 AM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Default Re: DOMS

i'm going to point you in the direction of these two threads regarding DOMS...

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...amp;PHPSESSID=

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...t=all&vc=1
Old 09-30-2003, 10:24 AM
GetPsycho should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

use a split. it is hard to carry high intensity from beginning to end when training the entire upper body. if you train with a split (chest\bis for example) you can focus on tearing down every possible muscle fiber available just in those 2 muscle groups.

add in lots and lots of drops and supersets too [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2003, 04:49 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Good advice guys! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2003, 05:55 PM
Light-Heavyweight

Thanks, ya'll! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I've been trying to tell my workout partner that we should do a split but she has a hard time believing that it is okay to just hit a muscle group once a week. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

We workout together on Mon & Fri on upper body (I do lower separately) so we can spot each other on the bench and other things. (It is great motivation too....the competition thing.) I just need to give her some documentation from this site to prove that we will grow if we do less parts and more exercises for those parts each workout! Do you have any suggestions for an Upper Body Monday & Friday split? I do legs on Tuesdays b/c it is my lightest running day. I run in the am and do legs in the pm. Would you recommend abs on leg day or on M & F?

Thanks again! I have and am still learning SO much from this wonderful site and you great ppl!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2003, 06:50 PM
GetPsycho should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

mon - chest\shoulders\tris
tue - legs
fri - back\bis

chest do 3 exercises, 3 sets
shoulders do 3 exercises, 3 sets
tris do 2 exercises, 3 sets

back do 4 exercises, 3 sets
bis do 2 exercises, 3 sets

abs can be done when convenient

this is just one example, if you added one more upper body day you could really get creative
Old 09-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Light-Heavyweight

THANK YOU! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2003, 08:56 AM
Debbie9999 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Also, how long have you been doing these exercises with the same equipment? I find that all I need to do is to change the exercise or the equipment and bamm.. lots of DOMS. This happens even if the change seems like I am doing something EASIER.

Old 10-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Light-Heavyweight

Hey Deb! I use mostly DBs and some cables but guess I need to change things up a little. I have a hard time using the easy curl bars b/c they do something to me in my wrist that shoots electricity into my palms (carpal tunnel signs i guess!) so I avoid most bb work - except for bench presses and leg work - where I can use the olympic wt straight bar.

I guess I need to order some plate mates for myself b/c there are always missing pieces at the gym and I have a hard time jumping 5lbs at a time on some of those db exercises so I've been "stuck" at the same weight for a while on some of them.....like 8s for shoulder front and lateral raises! 10s are just too heavy for me to keep good form. Maybe I should just do the few that I can w/ form an drop down (duh...wouldn't that be a "drop set"?!) [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Debbie9999 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

I sometimes do shoulder exercises with cables. I especially like it for the lateral raises and front raises. Maybe the cables will allow you to "up" the weight by an "intermediate" amount. But, I know just how you feel. I hate when I am "in between" weights.

Or, even try a machine. I know, everyone says that free weights are best but when looking for variety, don't eliminate any possiblity.

Wishing you lots of DOMS!
Closed Thread