Blood sugar levels - too high or too low? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 10:40 AM
PhysiqueMystique should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default Blood sugar levels - too high or too low?

Lately I've been running at lunch times 3x a week. I eat about 2-2.5 hours before going otherwise I feel too full. Then straight afterwards I eat again. Normally I'll have a chicken breast and veggies - pumkin, potato etc or a jacket potato with tuna. But I've been getting really unstable blood sugar levels. I feel so dizzy and sick in the stomach. I'm not sure if it means my blood sugar levels are too high or too low.

If they are too low, I guess I should be eating more carbs with my post run meals. If they are too high maybe my portions are too large.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-07-2003, 03:27 PM
mama2Six should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: Blood sugar levels - too high or too low?

For me (hypoglycemic) I have to have some form of sugar before I run hard. Running hard *REALLY* gets my blood sugar down fast. I can't run on a fully tummy either so I usually will just eat really well 1 1/2 hours before I run and then I grab some juice or even pepsi (the caffeine does me wonders) right before I run. I don't drink much, just enough to spike the blood suagr a little. Unless you are running really long, you shouldn't see the crash if you eat fast enough after you run. Of course this does cut into the effect of cardio ingesting simple carbs before a run but I can't stand the feeling of low blood sugar.

Have you tried a shake before you run? Maybe even half a shake? Maybe a liquid meal would go through your belly better but keep your blood suagr up? I think the problem is in what you are eating BEFORE the run - it's too far away. If you cannot move it up to sooner, maybe try the shake idea?
Good luck - I know that feeling stinks!
Amy
1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Remember that in a race everyone runs, but
only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you
will win. [25] All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a
prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. [26] So I run
straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who
misses his punches. [27] I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to
do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself
might be disqualified.

Old 07-07-2003, 03:45 PM
MusicJennifer should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Blood sugar levels - too high or too low?

I personally don't eat 3 hours before cardio if I didn't make it in the morning, so I'm not sure what to tell you. I also wait one hour to eat post-cardio for optimal fat burning results. Last, I do not include a carb in the post-cardio workout shake. Anyone else have any ideas here? My bet would be you need some form of carb before you run. When do you start to feel dizzy? During or after your workout session?