Calorie Intake ? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 11:58 PM
movingirl should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Calorie Intake ?

Hello, This is my first post. My husband, LanceArmstrongWannabe, posted a meal plan for y'all to look at earlier. I have been on a clean diet for two weeks now (about 1500 calories - I know this is still low). However, I have put on a little weight and I am weary about going up to 2000 calories. I have been doing the workout schedule that my husband posted.

Also, my husband takes a night time protein shake so he doesn't lose any muscle. I started to drink it also when I started my clean diet - should I be taking this now or does my body have enough fat to eat off of before it attacks my muscles?

Thanks for any help or suggestions. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2003, 01:09 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

Default Re: Calorie Intake ?

Go to: http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magaz...urningdiet.htm

In this article are 3 methods for determining your caloric intake. I recommend using all 3 and then averaging the results to get a ballpark idea of what your maintenance calories should be.

Have you been on a caloric deficit for a long time? Cause if so, then your metabolism is slowed and you don't want to try and begin losing fat with a slowed metabolism, cause then you're already starting at a DISADVANTAGE and you're gonna hit a plateau much quicker that way. And you can't KEEP lowering your calories, the metabolism continues to slow, you lose muscle, body goes into starvation mode, etc. Just not a good thing. You want to be sure and START at maintenance calories. So we need to get you there. When you increase your calories SLOWLY, like by adding 100 every OTHER day, then it allows your body's own metabolism to catch up thus preventing you from gaining fat. Once your body knows it's getting enough food and OFTEN enough, THEN it will have NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER letting go of the fat. But if your body "knows" it is not getting enough, then it HOLDS ON to the fat. So yes, you DO need to work up to maintenance calories especially if you've been dieting on a lowered calorie diet for a while. Let's get you slowly worked up to your maintenance calories on a CLEAN diet and see what happens, I think you'll like the results! Just check out the thread entitled, "getting to know you..." and see some of the personal testimonies about how women are eating MORE calories and LOSING fat! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Oh, and increasing by 500 calories is NOTHING especially if you're too low on calories to begin with. Go ahead and take two weeks if you like to do that. I guarantee you, you'll get only POSITIVE results from doing that as long as you are eating clean.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, my husband takes a night time protein shake so he doesn't lose any muscle. I started to drink it also when I started my clean diet - should I be taking this now or does my body have enough fat to eat off of before it attacks my muscles?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your last meal should consist of protein and FAT, yes fat. It's your choice what source you use to get that protein. It can be a protein shake, tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, etc. Just make sure you are having ample fat with it.

Oh and, almost forgot, welcome to Abc! Glad ya joined us! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2003, 08:51 AM
JV1311 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Welcome, movingirl!

Upping the calories is really worth it. I only saw big changes in my body, where most of the loss I was having was fat, once I started eating more.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:39 AM
Serendipity should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

not to mention the added benefit of not having to starve yourself..
Old 07-04-2003, 10:21 AM
nozzle should change his/her status!
National Champion

I'm in the same boat, movingirl. I had no idea that I was only eating on average 1550 cals a day until I plugged in my meals into Fitday (Thanks to all who have mentioned this in posts...I never would have even known it was out there!). I already eat 5-6 times a day. Guess I'll have to eat more at each meal or add another one in there somewhere. I'm going to try to get up to at least 1800 by July 18.

Here's the link to my meals on Fitday (and I use the journal section to keep track of my exercises).

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...ner=lowens1597

If anyone has time to check it out and critique, let me know!! I'd really appreciate it. I already know that I don't eat enough greenery. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Trying to improve that too!

By the way, Krypto, thanks for all your stickys. They are so helpful. There's so much to take in and remember. I keep going back to them just to refresh my memory.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:32 AM
nozzle should change his/her status!
National Champion

Might help if I give you guys some stats. Duh!!!

I'm 5'8", weigh 139 (as of this morning), and have a BF% of 21 (as of the end of April...that was also using the hand held thing-a-ma-jig). I lift weights three days a week and do cardio three days a week. I'm going to start the 13 week plan Monday, though. I work out first thing in the AM around 6:15. I haven't been eating before I work out. Wondering if I should change that. Goodness, that'd mean I'd have to get up at 4!! Ugh.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-05-2003, 11:41 AM
movingirl should change his/her status!
Stranger

Thanks for all the info! I will start adding calories every other day to my plan.

One more question - I was at the gym yesterday and I had the personal trainer check my body fat. It was a machine you stand on and enter in the info. I am 5'5", 23 yrs old, and weigh 136. He put my body fat % goal as 12.?? Anyhow, I got on and it said 26.1%. I know I was going to have some fat, but I thought that was pretty high. I just wanted to get an accurate reading so I can see if I start to lose fat and put on muscle w/ working out and my eating plan. The guy also said I should be doing cardio 4 times a week (even on day that I am doing weights)????

So let me just tell you my goal, so maybe someone can help understand what I should be doing. I obviously want to lose fat, but I want to tone and strengthen my muscle too. I am just trying to get and stay on a healthy eating pattern while regularly working out. (However, I am a school teacher, and when school starts up my routine can get off because I can only work out in the afternoon - and those can be crazy sometimes)

Any advice? Thanks
Old 07-05-2003, 05:07 PM
JV1311 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Cardio 2-3x a week is enough, and another 3 days of lifting.

The bodyfat readings not done with calipers depend a lot on hydration. The more hydrated you are, the higher the reading is gonna be. I never got an accurate reading that way. When I was 26% with calipers, the electrical thingies (both Tanita and the handheld ones) always put me at 38-39%. I mean, I know I wasn't in bodybuilder shape, but at 130lb at 5'2" I certainly wasn't obese either, sheesh.

Personally, I only trust calipers.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:57 AM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
I work out first thing in the AM around 6:15. I haven't been eating before I work out. Wondering if I should change that. Goodness, that'd mean I'd have to get up at 4!! Ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you should ingest something before you lift. Try a whey shake before you lift (I mix some natural whey with a banana and ice in the blender first thing in the morning). By the time you get your gym clothes on and get to the gym it will be nice and digested. You don't have to worry about getting up any earlier (well, cept for about five minutes). [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Closed Thread