MIO Fit Heart Rate Monitor - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 04:01 PM
BimmerMlis should change his/her status!
Rookie

Default MIO Fit Heart Rate Monitor

I'm thinking of purchasing the MIO Fit Heart Rate Monitor. I like the features overall, but I especially like that it doesn't have the chest strap.

Anyone have any good or bad experience with this brand?

Thanks in advance!
Here's the link for more info...
http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/mio.html
Old 04-03-2003, 04:49 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: MIO Fit Heart Rate Monitor

I don't have any experience using that brand, but I did look at it before purchasing my Polar about a year ago. I, too, liked the fact that it didn't have a chest strap. I did a lot of research before I finally made my purchase, and some of what I learned about the MIO was that some people complained about it being a bit awkward to use. (When I was looking at it, I think you had to put your finger on a pulse point on the unit to get a reading. That was awkward if they were running on the treadmill or similar.) Others complained that the reads were inconsistent. Again, that's just what I heard. I don't know that from experience.

I will tell you that my Polar does have a strap, which I thought would be absolutely annoying. I can honestly say, once it's on, I don't even know it's there. I'm not bothered by it in the least. I have the A5, and if I could do it over again, I think I'd get the next level up. My only complaint is that I can't store data from multiple workouts. Everytime I use it, it starts over. So it's hard to run a progress comparison unless I write it down each time.

Good luck!
Old 04-03-2003, 04:49 PM
Tory should change his/her status!

I've had both but I found the MIO difficult because you have to keep your two fingers pressed on the buttons to take the reading. Hard to do while you're jumping around or jogging.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:52 PM
Elle should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

The models with the chest strap are the most accurate...you get constant signal transmission from the strap to the watch. You may find it awkward at first, but it's the best route to take IMO.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:37 PM
BimmerMlis should change his/her status!
Rookie

Thanks for the quick feedback. I had been wondering about the accuracy of it vs. one with a chest strap.

I've been eyeing the MIO as well as the Polar A5.

As far as the chest strap, it's not a constant tugging and pulling session with breasts in the region?? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2003, 06:01 PM
mazz should change his/her status!
Stranger

It seems that everyone that is interested in a heart rate monitor has thought about the annoyance of a chest strap. I too went through the same thing. I ended up purchasing a Polar Ti91 and love it. I can't say anything bad about it. Since then I talked to my trainer about the monitor she has (it is the kind that you have to place your finger on to get a reading) and she finds it difficult to use. The strap on the HRM does not bother me at all. In fact, I don't even know that it is there half the time. If you want accuracy then a chest strap is the best way to go.

Hope this helps.
[img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2003, 07:04 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

[ QUOTE ]
BimmerMlis said:As far as the chest strap, it's not a constant tugging and pulling session with breasts in the region?? [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally don't have that problem, but I'm not well-blessed in that area (34B)!! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The strap sits just below the lower breast line anyway, so it's kind of tucked under them if you know what I mean. In fact, bigger breasts might make it even less noticeable!
Old 04-03-2003, 11:11 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Same here, I've got a polar heart monitor and I have no complaints. Just like the others have said, you forget it's even on.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:21 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

I love my polar monitor- the chest strap tucks under the band of my sports bra and I never notice it. You can even get bras now that fit your chest strap in them, but it seems a bit unecessary to me. The finger-based ones are a pain- and not as accurate. Pay the few extra pennies and get one that you won't regret owning!
Old 04-04-2003, 01:59 PM
Workout2001 should change his/her status!
Middleweight

This is good to know, because I want to buy one, although my dh seems to think they are totally unnecessary (just like his golf,he he) and liked the idea of not having to wear a chest strap, but now will definitely go with chest strap kind.
Closed Thread