Things are moving the wrong way!!! Help!! - Page 3 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 03:15 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

Default Re: Things are moving the wrong way!!! Help!!

lifterchick, truthfully I do not see any major problems with your diet. It's a bit difficult to determine what constitutes EACH meal but from what I could tell, you are too low on fat in some meals, I'd get at least 10 grams a meal if I were you. And some meals your protein was a bit low, like under 20 grams, again, that's if I was reading it correctly. But really, compared to overall, those things are minor.

The only thing I can think of is maybe try ditching the gatorade. You don't NEED the sugar, especially since you're cutting. Some maybe can get away with it, but perhaps you cannot. Any sugar will COMPLETELY HALT fat burning. Also, yeah, sugary items will spike your insulin more but you also have to remember that post workout, your muscle cells are going to be very highly receptive to anything you put into your mouth ANYWAY.

The only other thing I question in your diet is, "Light done right"? What is that? My point is, make sure you eliminate ALL sugars. That's all I can think of other than to try pasha's idea of carb/calorie cycling. It works very well for a lot of people, like she said, it keeps the body guessing. Also take her other advice about throwing the scale out and having your bodyfat measured. I wouldn't even get all hung up over your measurements. Heck, my measurements were LESS too, 20 lbs ago! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] I've put ON 20 lbs since HS, when I was just thin! Yep, but I look better NOW, even WITH the bigger measurements! My waist, hips, thighs, geez, pretty much everything are all BIGGER even tho I do look better now, having more muscle and LESS fat. Yep, I've got the numbers written down to prove it. I had a 26 inch waist in HS, now it's freakin almost 29 inches!! But yet I'm all toned now, I wasn't before. So yeah, an increase in muscle mass WILL eventually give you bigger measurements, but don't sweat it, it doesn't matter as long as you are proportionate. Hehe, listen to me, and I'm the FIRST one to complain about my waist measurement, heh. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I should take my own advice.

Anyway, I hope I was of some help. I really see no major problems with what you are doing. Remember, it IS a learning process, you're doing fine. Just keep experimenting, tracking your progress, etc. And remember to give any changes to your program 4-6 weeks before you determine whether it's working or not. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2003, 03:42 PM

Wait a minute! I just noticed something. In your fitday journal it says 1 cup of oatmeal is only 25 grams of carbohydrates. That can't be right. At least that's not the case with MY oatmeal. Only 1/2 cup is 27 grams of carbs in my oatmeal! So if that's wrong you're actually eating about 54 grams of carbs just in your oatmeal! You might want to double check some of your numbers. That just hit me today when I was eating my oatmeal.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:56 PM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

The carb measurement for the oatmeal is for one cup cooked, What I actually use is 1/2 c. dry, so I think that's okay. You're right though, you do have to watch some of the numbers on foods you don't customize! I really appreciate your thinking of me [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!

I'm absolutely astounded at how quickly my carbs add up! I don't even want to think about what a cookie would do to the mix[img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]! I'm really looking at the whole carb cycling thing and wondering how I could ever stay at 100 carbs/day! But I'm willing to give it a try so I'm looking at meal plans that basically involve oatmeal and vegetables for carbs.

Keep your good ideas coming! I can use all the support I can get!
Old 03-17-2003, 01:01 AM

I know what you mean. I go absolutely crazy if I have to try and keep my carbs below 100 grams! I've done it though before, and let me tell ya it sucks! Yeah, I've done the carb cycling thing before in my many cutting endeavors. I'm sure it's in one of my journals.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Middleweight

Default An update!

Good morning everyone! Well, first of all let me say that I'm back down to 142 this morning, so maybe it was just some weird fluid thing and I happened to get on the scale on the wrong day, but I still haven't LOST anything which IS my goal, so I'm looking hard at my diet to figure out what the probs are.

Krypto, I really started looking for hidden sugars in my diet and you were right about the Light Done Right. It's a low fat salad dressing but there are 8gm of sugar per serving. I also noticed while looking through YOUR fitday journal that you list your supplements in your calorie intake- that never occurred to me [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]!!! Basically the only things I use (besides protein powder) are MVI and Vitamin C, but I use the chewable Vitamin C so I can have some whenever I have a really bad sweet tooth. Guess what??? They are 5 cals a tab (I sometimes eat a small handful at a time!) and the second ingredient is SUGAR[img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]! I bet I easily eat 10 of those a day (well, I did up until today anyway). I'm replacing the Light Done Right with a balsamic vinaigrette made with half flax and half olive oil to work in some healthy fat and lose the sugar.

Another thing I've been wondering about is my metabolism. Given my history of both bulimia and excessive cardio, I usually estimate my metabolism to be on the slow side, but how do you really know [img]/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]?? I'm thinking about this after reading Krypto's response to Bec in another thread about how you really can't start evaluating a diet until your metabolism is functioning at full throttle and it can't do that until you work your way up to the proper calorie level for a period of time. I know I'm rambling, but try to follow me here. One of the first responses I got (from afolov I think) was pointing out that in my fitday journal my intake vs. output was way off. According to fitday, 2600 cals was my maintenance. I had figured about 2100 cals based on Jacob's formulas, but I was considering my metabolism to be on the slow side, so maybe I'm wrong there. What are the signs of a fast metabolism (other than losing weight, which is obviously not my problem)? I AM hungry every 2-3 hrs. like clockwork, sometimes even sooner if I've had a tough workout; I seem to sweat A LOT even at rest and especially if I'm eating something hot, and my GI tract is functioning quite well (I'll leave it at that) as long as I get enough water and veggies. Hmmm, it's a lot to think about. Maybe I should give myself another 2-3 weeks at 1800-1900 cals/ day and see where I am, sticking with the 13 week workout plan but adding an extra day or 2 of HIIT when I can separate it from weights by 8 hrs. What do you think?

I have to admit that if I can step back long enough to not freak out about my weight I find this whole process truly fascinating! Thanks to all of you who are helping me make this journey [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]!
Old 03-18-2003, 01:14 AM

Default Re: An update!

[ QUOTE ]
lifterchick said:...
Krypto, I really started looking for hidden sugars in my diet and you were right about the Light Done Right. It's a low fat salad dressing but there are 8gm of sugar per serving. I also noticed while looking through YOUR fitday journal that you list your supplements in your calorie intake- that never occurred to me [img]/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]!!! Basically the only things I use (besides protein powder) are MVI and Vitamin C, but I use the chewable Vitamin C so I can have some whenever I have a really bad sweet tooth. Guess what??? They are 5 cals a tab (I sometimes eat a small handful at a time!) and the second ingredient is SUGAR[img]/forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]! I bet I easily eat 10 of those a day (well, I did up until today anyway). I'm replacing the Light Done Right with a balsamic vinaigrette made with half flax and half olive oil to work in some healthy fat and lose the sugar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great! I'm glad I could help ya out there! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
...how you really can't start evaluating a diet until your metabolism is functioning at full throttle and it can't do that until you work your way up to the proper calorie level for a period of time. I know I'm rambling...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all, I'm following. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
What are the signs of a fast metabolism (other than losing weight, which is obviously not my problem)? I AM hungry every 2-3 hrs. like clockwork, sometimes even sooner if I've had a tough workout; I seem to sweat A LOT even at rest and especially if I'm eating something hot, and my GI tract is functioning quite well (I'll leave it at that) as long as I get enough water and veggies. Hmmm, it's a lot to think about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being hungry every 2-3 hours is a good sign that your metabolism is working properly, it has adjusted to your feeding it every few hours, that's great!

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should give myself another 2-3 weeks at 1800-1900 cals/ day and see where I am, sticking with the 13 week workout plan but adding an extra day or 2 of HIIT when I can separate it from weights by 8 hrs. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think, that if you have just changed your caloric intake and you notice the scale has gone UP, that yes, you should give it another week or two at that new caloric level, wait to see if your weight levels off. Cause ideally, it will level off and you will start, or continue to see changes on your body via the mirror and the calipers. But... DON'T change your activity level just yet. Otherwise you are not going to be able to discern whether the diet is working or not, since it could be the extra training. Get the diet right first and foremost. Then we can tweak training from there. Make sense? Process of elimination here to find what works and what doesn't. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2003, 03:28 PM
Bladezz33 should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

Yes I am getting edgy too [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] My waist is giving me grief, the scale is up and down for past few weeks at 158 and last week down to 155. It seems when I bloat or drink water I have double pouch (maybe the creatine/taurine/glutamine supplements I was taking or the berries and fiber argh - I thought cottage cheese was bad?)!! Does the body EVER get used to the fiber??? Or will I always be this bloated?

But I know my body composition is changing and that is really weird, cuz I am eating like 5 sometimes 6 meals a day anywhere from 1700 - 2200 calories...whew!!! When I started here (Feb.2003) I was only consuming 1200-1400 calories.

I also carry my "majoritis fat" on my bottom half and thighs but I notice gradual changes in areas, pants, etc. I would like to know how long I can stay at my current diet (only doing 1 HIIT 30min and one swim day 30min. currently) before I can start a cutting diet and/or reducing calories?

I don't think that is the point here cuz we want to stay at this level indefinitely and get our body used to the new feeding "concept" and find the baseline so when we do start working out "like mad" it will be easier burn off any excess (left over) fat, correct?

I know I am burning fat, just not really fast (and I screwed up diet a few times) so that sets me back, what, like three days or a week (to get my body back on feeding tract)? Anyway, I have my BF test coming up 03/20, all hell will break loose if it did not go down [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Maybe I should cut the cheese out of diet and replace with another fat source?
Old 03-31-2003, 04:10 PM
Middleweight

[ QUOTE ]
*********** said:
I think, that if you have just changed your caloric intake and you notice the scale has gone UP, that yes, you should give it another week or two at that new caloric level, wait to see if your weight levels off. Cause ideally, it will level off and you will start, or continue to see changes on your body via the mirror and the calipers. But... DON'T change your activity level just yet. Otherwise you are not going to be able to discern whether the diet is working or not, since it could be the extra training. Get the diet right first and foremost. Then we can tweak training from there. Make sense? Process of elimination here to find what works and what doesn't. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, it made perfect sense- so I followed your advice [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]!! This week (two weeks from last post on this thread) my weight was 140.8. That's the lowest I've seen in about 2-3 months, so I'm REALLY glad that I followed your advice cuz now I know what's working! I really didn't miss all that cardio anyway, hehehe. I'll keep it up my sleeve as a secret weapon if the dreaded plateau strikes back!

Thanks again!!
Old 03-31-2003, 04:14 PM

That's GREAT!!! Thanks for sharing! I'm really glad to hear that the advice I give out WORKS (as that is my goal)!! Awesome! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Closed Thread