looking for the scoop on nuts - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Braidyn should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default looking for the scoop on nuts

Alright, so I know that almonds, walnuts and pecans are great for EFA's. I found a recipe somewhere on this sight that I slightly modified to make protein bars/protein cookies. Looked like this...
natural PB
walnuts, pecans and almonds
honey to taste

so I made them, they were great. Happened to look up the nutrition info and was shocked to find that 1/4 cups of any of these nuts has 20 grams of fat!!!
Its really easy to consume this amount of nuts, even beyond. I understand that these are healthy fats, but even this must be pushing it? I know EFA's are important, but is there such things as too much?? Wont too much of even this good fat, make us fat? I'd love feedback, Im terribly confused...
Old 03-28-2003, 08:54 PM
Centurion should change his/her status!

Default Re: looking for the scoop on nuts

You can never have too much EFAs... thats what I say. The more calories the better, especially if they're from nuts. Unless you're on a cut that is. I love peanuts, as they're a cheap source of protein and fat. I eat heaps of em.

"For The Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight." (Hebrews 4:12-13)

Train like a barbarian!
Old 03-29-2003, 12:21 AM
Source 101 should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: looking for the scoop on nuts

Yes, consuming too much of anything will make you gain weight if you go overboard on the calories weither it be excess calories from protein, carbs, fat or a combination of all three. Just keep your daily fat intake equal to the amount you are allowed for you daily macronutrient breakdown.

20 grams of fat, when the majority of the fat is healthy, is perfectly fine for a meal when paired with a protein. Keep in mind that carbs spare protein. Fats spare protein as well. Which is why there is no need to have a large quantity of both carbs and fat in the same meal....it is unecessary and not condusive to fat burning...if that is your goal.

You need to up the efa intake if you are doing a low carb diet.

Closed Thread