A Girl's Bulking Goal? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 04:25 AM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default A Girl\'s Bulking Goal?

Instead of just blindly training for X number of months before I cut, I was considering setting myself an amount of LBM to gain, especially since I've set my mind toward bulking (I really HATE that word--"voluptu-izing" is much better) through the summer and don't really care if I gain a little extra fat in the process anymore. I'm curious of a good amount since I don't know what is realistic etc.

My bf is around 30% I guess. I have no reference and this amount is taken from online calculators using different sets of measurements so I'm not sure how accurate it is. I am going to look for calipers soon so I can have a more accurate measurement (at least of %change). If I have 30% body fat, I guess I carry it pretty darn well. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Though I'm thinking I may be quite small framed since when I encircle my wrist with my middle finger and thumb they overlap quite a bit (to the first knuckle). Yikes! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I know my tummy is pudgy right now, but maybe I'm pudgier than I thought!

So, I probably have about 95 pounds of LMB, and 40 lbs of body fat. I'm thinking of trying to increase 10-12 more pounds of muscle before I cut (unless upon reaching that I want a bit more) down to 18% bodyfat. Do you guys think this is too small a goal or just right for a female or too much or what? Given a rate of muscle mass increase of .5 lb per week, it should take me about 20 weeks (five months--ending in August)? Again, I'm not sure if any of these numbers are realistic (including muscle mass per week).

I think this would better for me than saying I'm going to train for X months with no real direction. Just curious what the other girls think! Advice is always appreciated!
Old 03-27-2003, 07:26 AM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: A Girl\'s Bulking Goal?

I think you will be much more successful, both physically and psychologically, if you have a quantifiable goal to measure your progress by. That way you will know whether your training is working or whether you have to reevaluate your approach. Just make sure you break that larger goal down into smaller goals so you can track your progress every few weeks.

Old 03-27-2003, 10:23 AM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

[ QUOTE ]
lifterchick said:
Just make sure you break that larger goal down into smaller goals so you can track your progress every few weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly! get your bodyfat checked and once you find out your lbm set a goal to increase your lbm by 5lbs (or whatever) in a certain time period and once you reach that goal, make another goal! i reevaluate after each goal i reach. i think people feel more successful and motivated to continue if they set smaller goals and reach them more frequently as opposed to setting one large one and taking a year to reach it.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:29 PM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

First I want to thank you girls for your responses! I guess what I'd say to both of your comments is that my goal is to finish the 12 week program and then next the 13 week program, evaluating my progress every two weeks when I get a set of calipers. And as long as I make it to the gym then there is NO way (barring injury etc) that I can't achieve those goals--as in to finish both of these programs.

After that though, most of my goals though are more for strength than body fat. I want to be able to bench press my body weight or two 45# plates, 135#, and put two 45# plates up on the squat rack or 225#. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know I'll get there eventually with my LBM and bf goals as long as I keep plugging along. That is an excellent point to keep in mind though. So when I finish the 12 week program or gain 5 lbs of LBM: STEAK AND MARGARITAS FOR ALL!!! For each goal! Woohoo! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The funny thing is that after I posted this last night I was still confused about how bf% all worked, but I've played around with the numbers and understand it a lot better now.

I was calculating things wrong before, which is why I think I was so worried about gaining too much fat with the muscle. Holy crap, if I bulk and gain 10 lbs of muscle and 5 lbs of fat, I still decrease my bf % by 5%! To NOT increase my body fat I would have to gain 15 lbs of fat! I intend on bulking cleanly (after this month when my money situation will be straightened out) so I don't think I have to worry AT ALL about this whole scary scenerio I had in my mind of bulking but ending up gaining too much this summer because if I bulk and eat 250 over maintance cals then it is only be possible for me to gain 10 pounds anyway, and it would still lower my bodyfat by 2.5%!

Numbers can be quite comforting!
Closed Thread