Best time to eat vs workout time? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 09:25 AM
kminutel should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Best time to eat vs workout time?

I work out at 5:30AM 5 days a week and have two questions-
1- Is it better to work out on an empty stomach or should I eat prior to the workout.
2- How quickly after my morning workout should I eat?
Old 03-24-2003, 09:43 AM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default Re: Best time to eat vs workout time?

Are you talking cardio workout or weight training? If you're weight training it's a bad idea to workout on an empty stomach, and you should consume your post workout shake as soon as possible after you're done to stop cortisol and spike your insulin to get some carbs and protein to those muscles! This is pretty much bodybuilding dogma. The cardio part (up next!) is just my opinion.

If you're talking cardio many people believe it's best to do that on an empty stomach, although I recently read a post that suggested having a small meal prior to HIIT, which makes sense because the energy demands are so great that it's hard to go all out in a glycogen depleted state. As for how long afterwards, you really have to play around with that. There's a school of thought that advises waiting an hour after to allow for maximium fat burning post cardio before you re-introduce glucose into the bloodstream, since glucose would be the preferred fuel source. I personally eat within 15-20 mins. of cardio because I have discovered through trial and error that if I wait too long my blood sugar gets so low that my appetite is out of control for the rest of the day trying to make up for it. This negated the whole point of cardio (burning cals) because I ate way more over the 24 hr. period! Since I've started eating my normal breakfast (oatmeal, eggs or protein powder, natural PB) within 20 mins. my appetite control is much better, but you'll need to play around with it to figure out what works best for you. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 02:51 PM
MusicJennifer should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

I personally workout every morning on an empty stomach, every other day is a lifting day, also in the morning. I eat within 30 min. of weight training and an hour or a little less after cardio. It has yielded great results, of course, it's now time for me to mix up the routine... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 03:23 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

I continue to hear that it's better to eat something, but I must admit I rarely do. I workout just before 4a, and have about 15 min from the time I get up to the time I get into the car. Eating is the last thing on my mind at that point. Sometimes I'll try to force myself to eat a banana in the car, but my stomach can't really handle much at that hour.

I know folks say it's a bad thing, but it doesn't "seem" to have hurt me doing it this way. I do come right home and have a whey/glutamine shake. I think the rule of thumb is you should have something within a 1/2 hr after your workout.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:35 PM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

1. if you are weight training in the morning, you should try and have something to eat beforehand. if your just doing cardio, you can skip the meal and do it on an empty stomach.

2. if your weight training its best to have a whey protein shake immediately after your workout (some like to add a simple sugar to the protein shake as well) and then have a real meal an hour later. if your doing just cardio you can wait 30-60 minutes after your session till you eat i believe.

this is another thread on the same subject! i suggest reading LAMs reply!

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/forum...rue#Post433802

Old 03-24-2003, 06:31 PM
tiger1 should change his/her status!

I also work out @ 5:30 in the morning and do it on an empty stomach, well I do have a cup of coffee. As soon as I get in my car to go to work I have a protein bar.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Cece should change his/her status!
Rookie

I find that if I eat too close before or after my workout time, I will throw up. I don't know why that is, but I try to get my shake in 30 -60 mins after my workout. I don't think it affects my "performance" so I think that we just have to go with what works for each of us. Personally, a vomit-free gym is one of the best contributions I can make to the world!!!!
Old 03-25-2003, 08:21 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

I usually go to the gym in the mornings on just a cup of coffee but I have been experimenting recently with having a piece of fruit, toast or a few tsps of PB before I go. No hard data as yet. I think I'll stick to the coffee. It depends how much I;ve eaten the previous day and how late at night. I do spinning or rowing classes often in the mornings, and if I ate too light the night before I cn barely get through them.
I think all this is down to personal experimentation. There may well be an "optimum" thing to do, but your circumstances have to dictate sometimes.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:25 AM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I absolutely notice a difference if I eat before cardio. It slows me down and makes it feel SO much harder! If I don't wait at least 1 1/2 hrs. after eating it's just a struggle all the way through so I like to do that on an empty stomach, it's just afterwards that I can't wait too long. I guess it's the same for lifting in the sense that I'd definitely puke if I lifted IMMEDIATELY after a meal, but the few times I've trained before eating anything in the morning I was very lightheaded and was not nearly as energetic as I normally am.
Closed Thread