Confessions of a cardio-bunny... - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 01:03 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Default Confessions of a cardio-bunny...

I'd like to know if there are people here who do alot of active sport (*********** I have spotted already!). I like building and training my muscles with weights- I now have some quite scary shoulder definition- but I also enjoy running, boxing, spinning, kickboxing etc and do these 4-6 times per week. I guess you would class this as cardio. It's usually quite intense (75-85% max heart rate). But I keep hearing how too much cardio is bad for me!

I'm confused! I don't want to stop doing the classes I really enjoy (especially the violent ones) and I'm keen to start training for another triathlon (I did one last year).
What's thebest way out of this dilemma, and how should I adapt both my CV and weights routines? I am attempting to keep a journal on the journal pages if that helps- it has quite a bit of info about me and what I am hoping to achieve.

Maybe I am just more egnerally confused and don't know quite WHAT I want to achieve at all. How can I explore and sort out this as well?

Waiting for your sound advice,
thanks.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:12 PM
soccerchick should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Default Re: Confessions of a cardio-bunny...

do you have to do all that cardio in one week's period? maybe you could do 2 of those cardio items listed one week and then do the other two the next week?
Old 02-18-2003, 04:12 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: GymKitten:</font><hr> I'd like to know if there are people here who do alot of active sport (*********** I have spotted already!).<hr /></blockquote>

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I like building and training my muscles with weights- I now have some quite scary shoulder definition- but I also enjoy running, boxing, spinning, kickboxing etc and do these 4-6 times per week. I guess you would class this as cardio. It's usually quite intense (75-85% max heart rate). But I keep hearing how too much cardio is bad for me!<hr /></blockquote>

How much cardio is bad for you depends on you as the INDIVIDUAL. What might be too much for one person may not be for another. It also depends on your nutrition (like how much protein you're consuming, whether your calories are suffient or not), training level, genetics, etc. Put it this way, I personally know that I can do 2-3 sessions of 2-3 hours of intense speed skating practices without losing any muscle. I also know that I CANNOT do that without losing muscle if my calories are below maintenance. So you see what I mean? You may be able to afford more cardio without losing any muscle IF you are eating correctly. But there is also a point at which no matter how much and how good you are eating, that your body just cannot keep up with your demand and too much is just too much. That is something you must discover for yourself. Understand?

Also, the more anaerobic in nature the cardio you're doing (like high intensity), the more of an ANABOLIC effect it tends to have, based on current, ongoing studies. In other words, anaerobic activity such as sprinting tends to cause a muscle building effect as opposed to low intensity or moderate cardio. Studies are still ongoing for this but generally speaking, just a few short intense sessions of cardio are better than doing moderate intensity cardio day after day for hours on end in terms of retaining muscle.

I know what you mean, I love doing anything athletic as well. I'd be playing hockey &amp; volleyball yet if I had the time and money! Anything athletic and challenging, I'm there. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I am just more egnerally confused and don't know quite WHAT I want to achieve at all. How can I explore and sort out this as well?

Waiting for your sound advice,
thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

It is apparent that is something you need to figure out, what your exact fitness goals really are. Unfortunately some things may conflict and you're going to have to make a decision. For example, at one time I contemplated competing in bodybuilding. I know it's something I could indeed achieve however the nutrition/diet required to make me a winner, goes AGAINST my speed skating. In order to get my bodyfat low enough to compete in BB, I'd have to drop my carbs lower than what it takes for me to put 100% into my speed skating. My speed skating requires more carbs than what I would be allowed to have to get very lean. Sooo, I had to make a choice, which sport to put second, which sport to NOT compete in. I chose to put bodybuilding second. So now I do the best I can in bodybuilding while still eating enough to put 100% into my speed skating training. Also, I would gain even more muscle mass if bodybuilding was my main focus but because it's not, I choose NOT to try and gain more muscle mass (for the most part) because in speed skating too much mass will actually HINDER me. My coach has already advised against my gaining more muscle mass, as he puts it, I'm thick enough already and there is a point of being too thick for speed skating. So bodybuilding is now pretty much just a hobby for me, just something else physical I like to do.

So that's what you gotta figure out. You need to define your fitness goals, they obviously can't conflict, then go for it! If you enjoy doing all that cardio then you may just have to settle for not gaining much muscle mass. I think if your nutrition is right though, you can probably still get pretty darn lean. It's up to you. Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:43 PM

I had an english Teacher she was in a Rugby player. You might want to try rugby. Her name was Ms. McMahon( Mak-MAn). She was a beefed up like crazy. Try rugby.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:18 PM
Rugger should change his/her status!
Middleweight

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: Chechkin:</font><hr> I had an english Teacher she was in a Rugby player. You might want to try rugby. Her name was Ms. McMahon( Mak-MAn). She was a beefed up like crazy. Try rugby. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah! Good advice!

[img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2003, 08:28 AM

Haha funny you should say rugby- I used to play at college and loved it, but it's hard to find a team round here.

At the moment, the things I do vaguely competitively are running (cross coutry at the moment but also do road raceslike 10Km and 1/2 marathons). I am very slow, I am never going to finish in the top 100 let alone top 10! I fins it hysterically funny that I am running in the National cross country championships here in London tomorrow. I am hoping to finish above the last 10...
I did a triathlon last year and would really like to do more so I guess that is the way my sport is going- I have no desire to compete at bb (I'm sure I'm too short anyway). Although my build is definitely more towards martial arts/rugby and bb than endurance CV sports! I am also thinking of taking up a martial art as I am really enjoying boxing and kickboxing at the moment.

I will continue to lift as I just love it, and I am trying to calm down on the CV. I am doing heavy weights 10-8-6 reps to failure at the moment (I have a training journal on here somewhere- I'm basically following the 12 week fat loss programme) How should I change this best to build strength endurance and power (for boxing/kickboxing and generally looking foxy) rather than just bigness?

Thanks for all your advice-0 I am trying my best to understand and assimilate it- and then apply it!!
Closed Thread