Too Sore For Cardio? And Should I Care? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 11:53 PM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Default Too Sore For Cardio? And Should I Care?

I did squats yesterday and worked my legs hard. Which is good, but today I'm too sore to really walk without discomfort (or especially sitting down!). This cuts me down to 2 days of cardio this week instead of 3. If every week I'm too sore thats going to suck. Is there any cardio I can do that won't be so...hard on me after a good leg day?

Should I have just gone anyway today and sucked it up?!? I may have loosened up after a bit...

I thought about swimming after leg days (I like swimming laps), but since my favorite stroke is the breaststoke...OUCH. I could do freestyle...not sure if that would hurt too much. The only other cardio I like is jumping rope...that may be painful too.

Is it best to rest and let my muscles have time to heal?

Maybe I'll try one of these next week even if I'm this sore again. But any ideas would be appreciated. When I say I'm sore, I can walk without screaming in agony. I wouldn't avoid walking anywhere, I even took the stairs today same as always, though slowly, but if it had been more than a three floors at a time...shesh! What I am majorly avoiding is having to get up or sit down!

Btw...I'm doing the 12wk fat loss workout and I'm starting to eat clean. So far I'm doing the lower calorie thing because I cannot get over 1750 calories. It's hard enough to get past 1650 (today I will barely made 1602!). I'm just not hungry and it seems impossible! So, I may as well do it until it I'm hungrier, then up it!

Should I be doing Cardio 3xwk or 2xwk anyway? I'm kinda confused. This is the first time I've weight lifted in years. I think I've substantially cut my cals but I've finally given it plenty of protein to work with...maybe its better to let my body build muscle? It will burn more fat anyway in the long run. Would I really lose much more weight adding another day per week of cardio anyway?

BAH! Confuzzled much! I want to get the most bang for my hard work!

Ender
Old 02-18-2003, 12:02 AM
bombflower should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: Too Sore For Cardio? And Should I Care?

I can't really answer your questions (im learning these things too) but what I usually do after a legs day is skip the cardio because I'm too sore or I do an elevated(uphill) 3.5-4.0 walk on the tredmill to stretch my legs out a bit and it doesn't hurt too bad after a while. Also, try and do a lot of leg stretches. It usually helps to relieve a little pain. You could also take some Ibuprofen as well. That stuff works wonders for me (well, except for my back today)
Weight: 140
Squat Max: 225
Bench Max: 120

My training & diet journal
My bodyfat % and weight chart
My fitday account
Old 02-18-2003, 12:31 AM
DarkLotus should change his/her status!
Lightweight

I do 20 minutes of cardio 3x a week (between 3 days of lifting). When my legs kill from doing deadlifts and squats (like today), I make myself do cardio the next day. 9 out of 10 times it helps with the soreness and I feel better when I am done. Only once did I feel worse after doing the cardio, think I pulled something that time. Doing treadmill at an incline seems to be less painful after a brutal leg day than a flat surface for some reason. HTH! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2003, 12:57 AM
Rugger should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Last Saturday I had a brutal quad workout. I still went and did my sprints on Sunday (albiet, they were not exactly sprints cause I couldn't get a full stride going [img]/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) It was pure hell. I don't know if doing cardio with sore legs is smart or not, but I can guarantee it'll hurt like never before. Swimming sounds like a great option unless your prone to leg cramps... If you really wanted to do some kind of cardio, I would suggest a long walk with a stretching session afterwards. It'll burn some calories (not a whole lot) and will loosen up your legs a bit.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:20 AM
enderwigginout should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

Uphill isn't happy, and neither is downhill [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] . I've been climbing stairs all day (I live on the second floor). I seem to be getting stiffer ACK!

I think next week I'll try to swim. Most of the stroke is in your arms anyway. Couldn't hurt...

Ender
Old 02-18-2003, 01:48 AM
Elle should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Suck it up girl... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I do cardio 3-4 times a week. It seems to be working for me. I'm halfway through the 12 week program and you should see the difference from just 6 weeks ago! (toot my own horn here... [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) I had a wicked pump in the gym today...LUV IT!
Old 02-18-2003, 02:33 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

Personally I'd leave the cardio at twice a week.

But I also notice that if my legs are sore from a weight training workout, that moving them in an aerobic fashion (whether it be a cardio machine or skating) seems to help, seems to loosen them up and make some of the soreness go away, at least temporarily. I notice the same thing when I stretch them. The soreness goes away somewhat once I get them stretched out real good, again, only temporarily though.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:58 AM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

I don't know what your split is like, but could you just do legs before a planned rest day, which would give you 48 hrs. to recover? Other than that, if you can afford to skip the cardio, skip it. If not then it is true that if you start out slowly your legs really do feel a bit better once you've warmed up, so just go for it. It's really only the first 5 mins that are bad (and then the next 24-36 hrs after you are finished, LOL!). Congrats on the good leg day!
Closed Thread