Using weight training as your cardio workout - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Laughlin78 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Using weight training as your cardio workout

I was just wondering if any of you have heard about this or not. I was in my dr.'s office last week and he was explaining to me that there is a structured program out there that does not include actual cardio but instead you go from machine to machine to get your heart rate up. I tried this and I actually got a better work out than normal. I was wondering if anyone had that schedule written down anywhere so that I could get a schedule. I really don't want to go randomly work out like this.

Old 02-17-2003, 04:42 PM
hilltowner should change his/her status!

Default Re: Using weight training as your cardio workout

Sounds like circuit training.

I hate cardio, and this doesn't seem like an effective way to weight train, but others may have nicer things to say about it. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2003, 06:44 PM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: hilltowner:</font><hr> Sounds like circuit training.<hr /></blockquote>

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Probably one of those new chains (Shapes or Curves or something like that). For a complete exercise neophyte, it's a good way to build a muscle base, but if you've already been training for a while I suspect you're probably beyond that. And the elevation in your HR isn't really "cardio" in the true sense because you are still working "anaerobically" when you strength train, with the exception of certain plyometric drills which are not the same as what you're talking about. Now, if you wanted to try a circuit training routine and call it an "active recovery" period, that's great, but don't be fooled into thinking you're going to make great gains.

Maybe you're thinking it's a really great new thing because you heard about it from a doctor. Being a health care professional I can tell you that many doctors and nurses are not the best source of anything but the most basic fitness information- it's not part of our formal education unless you're in an orthopedic, sport's medicine, or rehab type of specialty. My own primary MD is a truly excellent clinician, but aside from being familiar with the anatomy of the musculoskeletal system she doesn't know beans about lifting weights. My pain management doc, on the other hand, has treated lots of people with chronic pain from sports related injuries and is able to advise me well on what to avoid and how to make modifications in technique. I guess what I'm trying to say is consider the source and don't assume it is gospel just because it comes from an MD.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:51 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: lifterchick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: hilltowner:</font><hr> Sounds like circuit training.<hr /></blockquote>

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Probably one of those new chains (Shapes or Curves or something like that). For a complete exercise neophyte, it's a good way to build a muscle base, but if you've already been training for a while I suspect you're probably beyond that. And the elevation in your HR isn't really "cardio" in the true sense because you are still working "anaerobically" when you strength train, with the exception of certain plyometric drills which are not the same as what you're talking about. Now, if you wanted to try a circuit training routine and call it an "active recovery" period, that's great, but don't be fooled into thinking you're going to make great gains.

Maybe you're thinking it's a really great new thing because you heard about it from a doctor. Being a health care professional I can tell you that many doctors and nurses are not the best source of anything but the most basic fitness information- it's not part of our formal education unless you're in an orthopedic, sport's medicine, or rehab type of specialty. My own primary MD is a truly excellent clinician, but aside from being familiar with the anatomy of the musculoskeletal system she doesn't know beans about lifting weights. My pain management doc, on the other hand, has treated lots of people with chronic pain from sports related injuries and is able to advise me well on what to avoid and how to make modifications in technique. I guess what I'm trying to say is consider the source and don't assume it is gospel just because it comes from an MD. <hr /></blockquote>

Great post!
Old 02-17-2003, 06:57 PM
lifterchick should change his/her status!
Middleweight

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: ***********:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: lifterchick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: hilltowner:</font><hr> Sounds like circuit training.<hr /></blockquote>

Maybe you're thinking it's a really great new thing because you heard about it from a doctor. Being a health care professional I can tell you that many doctors and nurses are not the best source of anything but the most basic fitness information- it's not part of our formal education unless you're in an orthopedic, sport's medicine, or rehab type of specialty. My own primary MD is a truly excellent clinician, but aside from being familiar with the anatomy of the musculoskeletal system she doesn't know beans about lifting weights. My pain management doc, on the other hand, has treated lots of people with chronic pain from sports related injuries and is able to advise me well on what to avoid and how to make modifications in technique. I guess what I'm trying to say is consider the source and don't assume it is gospel just because it comes from an MD. <hr /></blockquote>

Great post! <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks, Krypto. I consider that a great compliment coming from you! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2003, 07:10 PM
Laughlin78 should change his/her status!
Stranger

Thanks for getting me all that info I really appreciate it. I have not been really into lifting for very long. I just went on a cut last week or so and I'm slowly changing my workouts. Circut training sounds good to me since I have just started to weight train. Could you fill me in on more info on circut training. Unless you think its just a waist of time.

Closed Thread