Please critique my diet - Page 2 - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 03:28 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Re: Please critique my diet

Thanks Krypto! Your feedback is always appreciated. I'm going to mull your advice over and become my own guinea pig!
Old 02-14-2003, 03:39 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: hilltowner:</font><hr> ...I'd be interested in this too; I pretty much have my BF down to where I want it, but would like to add muscle. I realize that only in my fantasies can I add muscle without adding *any* fat, but what do you think is the best way to add some muscle with *minimal* fat gain?

I know my maintenance calories are right around 2200.

Thanks!<hr /></blockquote>

For minimal fat gain on a bulk, you just need to eat MORE of those clean foods, more oatmeal, more brown rice, etc.

I would change your macronutrient ratio to add more carbs. What I usually do, when I decide I want to focus on gaining more muscle mass, is slowly increase my carbohydrates and calories.

I would shoot for a macronutrient ratio of either 40P/40C/20F or 40P/35C/25F or 40P/30C/30F. If your carbs are a lot lower than that, then be sure to increase them SLOWLY. How slow is up to you, whatever you feel comfortable with. By doing it slowly, you will minimize fat gain, same goes for increasing your total calories.

When I started bulking, I ended up adding an extra 500 calories in a week's time period and I believe I stopped there. I was doing a 40P/30C/30F ratio at around 2500 cals in the beginning and my calories were as high as 3000 some days. Don't get all scared about increasing, just do it slowly, keep track in fitday, keep track of your progress, keep an eye on the mirror and get bodyfat measurements taken if you can every 2-3 weeks. Just keep a close tally on everything you're doing and that's how you'll learn what is working for you. It's all I did. It's going to depend on each individual, some people gain muscle easier than others. I found that I don't need a lot of carbs and I can still gain muscle, someone else may need more carbs in order to gain. It's what you have to find out by experimenting. Just do things slowly, give your body time to adjust, keep track and you'll be fine. You may see a scale jump at first, don't panic, as you add more carbs you'll start holding more water so the scale can jump anywhere from 2-5 lbs (my experience). Your weight should level out after about 2 weeks, after the intial water gain. Also, when you hold water it'll blur your definition but it doesn't mean you gained fat.

I would say you don't wanna gain more than 2 lbs a week and certainly no less than 1/2 lb a week to say that you're having success. Good luck, and let me know how it goes! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Bladezz33 should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

I am still having the same problem as before, I cannot seem to eat any more than 1400-1500 calories. If I do, it comes mostly from carbs (I am a low carber).

There was a post on here the other day - mentioned that calories are not important as ratio. Can you give an opinion? I cannot seem to I scarf anymore when I am sooo full? I also gained 4 lbs. since I quit cardio too
...hmmmm...is that normal you think?

Bladez

Link post:
Building Muscle and The Calorie Myth by: rianevans
under the Nutrition &amp; Supplementation Forum

Old 02-15-2003, 04:54 PM
W8lifter2 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Lots of good info here. Thanks! Until next time...

Bob!
Old 02-16-2003, 01:14 AM
should change his/her status! Edit

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: Bladezz33:</font><hr> I am still having the same problem as before, I cannot seem to eat any more than 1400-1500 calories. If I do, it comes mostly from carbs (I am a low carber).

There was a post on here the other day - mentioned that calories are not important as ratio. Can you give an opinion?<hr /></blockquote>

Yes, I am an advocate of simply eating clean and manipulating your macronutrient ratios for fat loss, putting off cutting any calories until it is absolutely necessary.

[ QUOTE ]
I cannot seem to I scarf anymore when I am sooo full?<hr /></blockquote>

It's just something you will have to keep working at, key is to increase slowly and allow your body's metabolism time to catch up.

[ QUOTE ]
I also gained 4 lbs. since I quit cardio too
...hmmmm...is that normal you think?<hr /></blockquote>

Nothing I'd get concerned about, could be several things, water retention or perhaps your body has finally attained the edge it needed in order to build some muscle mass, which is what you want.
Closed Thread