Me and my big mouth! - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 12:03 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Default Me and my big mouth!

I walked into the staff lounge where I work to find two co-workers talking about abs. I hear one of them saying "well, if you're going to work your abs you'd better work your back/core too or you'll throw your back out!" One asks me about the ab roller for developing abs and I say "I hate to tell 'ya, but you're not going to get any abs by using something like an ab roller." I thought she was thinking about buying one or something.

Anyway, it soon became clear that she already had one and was hurt by my comment! I tried to back pedal a bit and just say that those tend to cause you to "cheat" and that if she was going to do anything, a good basic crunch would be better.

Neither of them are serious about their workouts, nor do they even belong to a gym, so there was no sense in me giving any detailed info about diet, exercise, etc. But I did feel a little bad because I was so loudly negative about the ab roller! Oops! Oh well, live and learn!
Old 02-11-2003, 12:24 PM
Xtreme1986 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Me and my big mouth!

Well ab rollers are crap so what you did was tell the truth to her. It's not like she asked if she looked fat and she did so you said yes. you just gave input on a crappy product. no big deal!
Chin-ups:12
Old 02-11-2003, 12:51 PM
jaredirl should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Yeah, it's better to know the truth.. If you wouldve told her that it would work, and that she'd get great results, she would only get discouraged about getting back in shape later on.. Hopefully she takes your comment and starts looking for better information
Old 02-11-2003, 01:33 PM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: Xtreme1986:</font><hr> Well ab rollers are crap so what you did was tell the truth to her. It's not like she asked if she looked fat and she did so you said yes. you just gave input on a crappy product. no big deal! <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, even though it sounded like it in my post, I'm not really worried about it. More chuckling at the conversations I hear around here about these "wonder cures" for their body woes! I just sit quietly and smile unless asked (most of the time)! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 01:56 PM
RicoCPA should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

The only way to get abs is to trim the fat off your body through proper diet and exercise.

I love these people who think doing sit ups or crunches for 10 minutes a day will give them a washboard stomach.

The product manufacturers fool people by showing these really cut people using their product without telling them that it takes dedication and hard work to look like that. They lie to people and make them believe there is a "quick fix" when there is no such thing.

Don't worry about what you said, if they are really serious then they'll probably end up asking you questions in the end anyway.

Weight: 184 lbs. (cutting, now)
BF%: 14.78% (as of 4/20/04)
Chest: 45" / Bicep: 15 1/2" / Forearm: 12 1/2" / Quad: 24" / Calf 16" (As of 2/5/04)
"Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for ALL!!"
Old 02-11-2003, 04:11 PM
rattie should change his/her status!

It was just the truth; sometimes the truth hurts. You did nothing wrong.
"I love these people who think doing sit ups or crunches for 10 minutes a day will give them a washboard stomach." I agree with ricocpa. I also want to tell these people the truth about proper form. Putting your arms behind your head and thrusting your neck forward isn't going to help your abs. All that's going to do is give you a pain in the neck.
Also, I've been thinking a lot lately about what nikybaby said about these gym "hoes" in the gym. Why would any obviously overweight women dress as sleazy as she can? They stand around and talk to each other for several minutes without lifting a **** weight. I understand if someone is overweight and serious about getting into shape, but it's the ones who dress like a ***** that makes me nauseated. They'd have better luck picking up a guy at a bar. Sorry, I just had to vent.
Schless, you did nothing wrong.

Train hard or go home!
Old 02-14-2003, 03:04 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

<blockquote><font class="small">Posted by: schless:</font><hr> Yeah, even though it sounded like it in my post, I'm not really worried about it. More chuckling at the conversations I hear around here about these "wonder cures" for their body woes! I just sit quietly and smile unless asked (most of the time)! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote>

LOL, well you certainly have more self-restraint than I do! Not all the time, but often if I'm in the rest room listening to some women going off about something fitness related, I've been known to jump in and comment, not always, but sometimes. I just can't help it, it's almost IMPOSSIBLE for me to keep my mouth shut! Just can't restrain myself sometimes, lol. Usually it ends up being a good thing though, I try and be tactful about it and I think they realize I'm only trying to help them out. Other times I don't have to interject, sometimes they'll approach me, and that's always nice, and definitely the better situation.

So that girl may have felt resentful towards you at first, but later she was probably thankful. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2003, 03:35 PM
W8lifter2 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

*LOL* I have gotten the same thing here. They ask "What do you think of a ???" and when I tell them its crap or it works well, they are offended or happy. My feeling is, if ya don't want my opinion, don't ask! Until next time...

Bob!
Old 02-14-2003, 03:42 PM
GetPsycho should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

some of the veterans on this site will use an ab roller occassionally. i wont name names.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Serendipity should change his/her status!
Heavyweight

i imagine she still would have purchased one anyway. it seems like most people would rather try things out for themselves than have someone tell them it doesn't work.
Closed Thread