How do I lose weight AND gain muscle?? - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 10:32 PM
bronzediamond should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default How do I lose weight AND gain muscle??

Need some help...I'm a big lady-5'4 196 pounds. I need to know how I can lose body fat (obviously a lot of it) and gain muscle. I'd prefer not to use any fat burners, I want to make a complete lifestyle change. I'm 37 years old, so the ol' metabolism aint what it used to be. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. (I don't expect quick results, just consistent results)
Old 01-18-2003, 01:47 AM
hrmn8r is disgusted by his basement that has a foot of standing water. Grrrr.
Rookie

Default Re: How do I lose weight AND gain muscle??

Hi bronzediamond, and welcome.

Your best bet is to stick around ABC for awhile and read, read, read. You will learn so much in a short mount of time that you won't believe it.

If you will work hard and like you said stay consistent you WILL see a big change.

Spend time reading the articles on the tabs for excercise, nutrition, and workouts, above. Also, scroll through the magazine and read articles that strike your interest. Also, check out other people's journals to see what works for them. Set your goals and then pursue them.

Also, don't hesitate to ask people at ABC for help, they will be glad to.

Hope this helps even though it isn't a specific answer.

Remember . . . there are three kinds of people in the world:
Those who can count, and those who can't.

GREAT ABC BIBLE STUDIES
Old 01-18-2003, 10:59 PM
nikybaby should change his/her status!
Lightweight

I know what you are going through. 1 year ago I weighed 215lbs at 5'6". I had 42% bodyfat. Now I am about 160lbs and 22% BF. I still have a ways to go until I reach my goals but the key to my success was willpower and perseverance.

Now to address your question--
Generally it is difficult to do both but people who are new to lifting and dieting seem to be able to do both with a lot of success. Try dieting (which diet is your choice- I prefer low carbs try this site ), cardio, and LIFTING WEIGHTS!! I can't stress liting enough. More muscle = more calories burned. Dieting AND exercise is crucial. Results will be minimal if the 2 are not employed together. Joining this site is probably one of the best things you could have done. You will find loads of informationand support. Good luck and welcome!
Old 01-18-2003, 11:38 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Good points niky!

[ QUOTE ]
More muscle = more calories burned <hr /></blockquote>

Muscle mass raises your metabolism. Your body requires more calories to substain the hypertrophed muscle. So lifting is defenietly the way to go!

[ QUOTE ]
Dieting AND exercise is crucial <hr /></blockquote>

Another excellent point. That's awesome that you are looking for consistency and not a quick fix. Working out and staying in shape is a life-long commitment. Not like these ads that promise rapid fat lost, then a month later it's back on again.

Constistant diet and exercise should be your main focus!

Here is an excellent article that will help you learn how to go about achieving your goals!

The secret to fat burning!

Good luck! You can do it!
Old 01-18-2003, 11:58 PM
Lightweight

[ QUOTE ]
That's awesome that you are looking for consistency and not a quick fix. Working out and staying in shape is a life-long commitment. Not like these ads that promise rapid fat lost, then a month later it's back on again. <hr /></blockquote>
Totally awsome. so many people opt for the quick fix only to be disappointed (and they usually end up quitting). I look at it like this- I didn't gain the weight in some pre-determined time frame so how can I expect to lose that way? I just try to do good everyday and rejoice whenever I see positive changes. Your attitude is great! Very motivating!
Old 01-19-2003, 12:53 PM
DarkLotus should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Bronze: I was just going to read and not respond, as I am new here and don't wanna put my foot in my mouth yet [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But I have had success with lowcarbing and weight lifting, like Niky (but of course she looks better!) I started at 306 pounds and have lost a good amount of fat doing lowcarb &amp; weight training. Good luck to you!

I was wondering what kind of reception lowcarbers would get here...I love lowcarb.ca! Lots of intelligent people over there, especially Nat!
Old 01-19-2003, 06:43 PM
Lightweight

I LOVE that forum. I even stole Karen's motivational quote!!
Old 01-20-2003, 12:48 PM
lean_nmean should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

One thing forsure is to have patience. It does not happen over night. It takes time. I know my husband has stuggled with weight lost and after 3 months he see a little change but for him the results do not come quick enough so he gives up. NEVER give up. Your hard work and commitment will pay off in the end. Good luck! You can do it. Stick to this site cecause seeing other members success is very motivational. And hearing all the advice really helps. It is frustrating but you will learn alot as you go.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:20 PM
Bladezz33 should change his/her status!
Bantamweight

To lose wight as I mentioned to Mia in her post page, you must focus on the largest muscle group on your body, what comes to mind???.....your butt!! Muscle burns fat faster, so if you develope your biggest main muscles - fat will burn quicker!

Come see my support site for fat-loss. I set it up for girls like us, I share my thoughts and what has worked for me so far. I am beginning bodybuilder and have lost 10 pounds (mostly fat)and gained muscular density since Sept. 2002 by weight training, cardio and low carb diet. If you want to gain muscle and lose fat, try to stop by for some free advise just to read, no need to join...stop by!

Old 01-21-2003, 09:00 PM
bronzediamond should change his/her status!
Stranger

Thanks to everyone for your replies. You've given me a lot of knowledge to get me started on "rebuilding the temple".
I wish I had this information years ago.

Thanks again.
Closed Thread