Guy here :) but please hear my question - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 03:41 PM
fluffy should change his/her status!
National Champion

Default Guy here :) but please hear my question

I'm trying to help my cousin (she's 25) to build up enough motivation and interest to get into fitness. She's, well, pretty unfit. Not really overweight, just really unfit. She was very sickly as a child and although she's OK now, she never did anything remotely resembling sports or fitness.

She's very dedicated, so I know once she sets her mind on it, she won't stop until her goals are achieved. It's just a matter of getting her to that point psychologically. Oh, and she's happily married and everything, so it's not like she'd be doing it to get looks from guys [img]/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I found that one of the best ways for me to get motivated was simply perusing ABCBodybuilding, reading the articles, seeing what people said in forums, that sorta thing. So I'm thinking to get my cousin started the same way. Except I think that ABCBodybuilding is a bit too hardcore and will scare her off more than generate interest.

So with that in mind, can you recommend any female-oriented fitness sites which would be motivational for an absolute beginner? Or if you have any other tips, let's hear them! Thanks all, and sorry for a male intrusion into your forum [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2002, 03:55 PM
sicily1962 should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Guy here :) but please hear my question

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by fluffy:</font><hr /> I'm trying to help my cousin (she's 25) to build up enough motivation and interest to get into fitness. She's, well, pretty unfit. Not really overweight, just really unfit. She was very sickly as a child and although she's OK now, she never did anything remotely resembling sports or fitness.

She's very dedicated, so I know once she sets her mind on it, she won't stop until her goals are achieved. It's just a matter of getting her to that point psychologically. Oh, and she's happily married and everything, so it's not like she'd be doing it to get looks from guys [img]/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I found that one of the best ways for me to get motivated was simply perusing ABCBodybuilding, reading the articles, seeing what people said in forums, that sorta thing. So I'm thinking to get my cousin started the same way. Except I think that ABCBodybuilding is a bit too hardcore and will scare her off more than generate interest.

So with that in mind, can you recommend any female-oriented fitness sites which would be motivational for an absolute beginner? Or if you have any other tips, let's hear them! Thanks all, and sorry for a male intrusion into your forum [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote>

yea, I have one!
Have her read the articles on the ABC Bodybuilding site.
Believe me, i'm a woman through and through and you could not persuade me to find more good information and training tips anywhere else than right here on this board.

Not only that, like myself you'll find Krypto, Phillia and a slew of others that are feminine and love to take care of themselves and their bodies. We are dedicated to it and i'm sure that your cousin, could gain a great deal of knowledge just from participating in and reading the forums here.

Tell her to write me if she likes! I'll help any way i can.
Good luck to her!
Margie

http://groups.msn.com/WeightliftingW...nw?albumlist=2

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is
a habit."
Aristotle 384-322 BC,
Greek Philosopher and Scientist

http://images.netrition.com/cards/heaping1.jpg

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to is...
Success is a road that's paved with perserverance.

OBSESSION is a word the lazy use to describe DEDITCATED!!

Spring Show: 4/13/02
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...Photos?a=33170

"A Hard Woman Is Good To Find"

Old 08-26-2002, 03:27 AM
Menace should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

From a guy standpoint of view. I started bodybuilding knowing jack sh-t about anything. I got started by searching the internet and forums...found this site and got 'hooked'. Just reading what people have to say, articles made me think about this sport differently.

I got motivated seeing and hearing people see results as a result of their hard work &amp; dedication.
You also have to realize that almost all people that got started in bodybuilding/fitness that failed is because they didn't understand what they're actually doing. Seeing no results is discouraging. They didn't see results because they were doing it wrong. Bodybuilding/fitness is made up of training and nutrition and not just either or.

By understanding how muscle work and eating properly, it makes things more interesting and fun! Instead of just busting your a$$ 3-4 times a week just for the sake of doing it, people give up because they don't like it.
At first, it could be hard but once you get in that "zone" of dedication, its well worth the hard work and discipline.

In able to get hooked and get dedicated, you have to first and foremost like what you're doing. Get into it and have fun while doing it. Make it as a lifestyle if possible because this method works for long-term success. This is the most important thing if you want to be successful in this sport.

Get her to read articles, sites, magazines, anything to get her started. The next thing you know, she'll be hooked and she'll be begging for some more. Tell her how good it is and how it change you as a person. I hope you get the idea.

There is no such thing as getting too BIG!
BACK TO BASICS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...b/df8d8298.jpg
Old 08-26-2002, 12:11 PM
doots should change his/her status!
Stranger

something less hardcore...maybe try shape magazine, or shape online, fitness magazine or fitness online, and maybe even self magazine and self online...these are not intimidating, they are...i guess beginner to intermediate, or maybe just for the less hardcore person, people doing it to be healthy and fit, not to compete,ect.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:35 PM
Miss Louise should change his/her status!
Stranger

She would be welcome at http://groups.msn.com/bodyforlifewinners

I post over there mainly. It started as a group of us (guys and gals, but mainly gals) that were doing Body for Life. A lot of us are either tweaking BFL or doing different programs or doing our own thing. Most people over there have been lifting for about a year, but some have more experience.

Also, www.leanandstrong.com has a great community, but I mainly lurk there.

HTH

Louise
Old 08-27-2002, 10:15 PM
fluffy should change his/her status!
National Champion

Cool, thanks for all your suggestions! I talked to her and right now she says she won't get into fitness until next year when she moves to Southern Cali with her husband. But in the meanwhile I'll just try to plant the seeds of interest in fitness in her mind [img]/forum/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2002, 07:30 PM
MissMargaret should change his/her status!
Rookie

I also was going to suggest the Body for Life Winners group for your cousin. Miss Louise and I are pals over there. The one thing that she will get there is a small group, but one that is definitely very supportive and being rather new to body building are very keen. There is a challenge starting after Labour Day that she might like to take part in - which is really just a self guided challenge to get in shape and have fun with others while at it.

Here is where I come for the serious answers to the hard questions and in and outs of the body building world. And I'm making some great friends while I'm at it - so she should definitely come here too.

You are wonderful for thinking of her.

Old 08-29-2002, 09:18 AM
schless should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Another site that's got some good info on it but is not quite so hardcore is Muscle&amp;FitnessHers. Here's the URL: http://www.muscleandfitnesshers.com/hers.html
Old 08-29-2002, 09:34 AM
Menace should change his/her status!
Super-Heavyweight

Oh...BTW here's my link contribution.
Maybe she could go here and check it out [img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

There is no such thing as getting too BIG!
BACK TO BASICS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...b/df8d8298.jpg
Closed Thread