advice please - ABCbodybuilding

Go Back   ABCbodybuilding > Iron, Metal, & Steel!! > Female Specific Athletic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 12:27 PM
reesa should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default advice please

Hey everyone,
I am 5'8" 136, 24% bodyfat. I want to gain muscle and lose fat over the course of the next several months.
I have been lifting for several yrs. and I would like to compete next spring either bb/figure..not sure yet.
Anyways here is what I was thinking of trying for at least the next 7 weeks b4 I get my bf% tested again
please advise:

Sun - shoulders/abs:
Mon - cardio :30 min
Tues- cardio :30 min
Wed- chest/triceps:
Thur- back/biceps
Fri - cardio :30 min
Sat - legs

I used to always do my cardio after weights but I find it better to separate the two now. I use the
elliptical trainer and just try to go a little bit further each time so I know I am keeping the intensity
up. (No intervals for now though). For weights I am doing the "mass" exercises:
bench presses/deadlifts/squats/leg presses/pull-ups, etc. After warming up usually I do
3-5 working sets; heavy weights; my rep ranges are 5-8 reps for most exercises.

This is the diet I am going to do:

Sun, Wed, Thurs (w8 training days):

cals: 1870
carbs: 200g
pro: 200g
fat: 30g

Mon, Tues, Fri (cardio only days):

cals: 1470
carbs: 100g

Sat (leg day):

cals: 2270
carbs: 300g

What do you think? Will this help me lose fat & add muscle? I know these are two opposing goals and
I can't gain a lot of muscle while losing a lot of fat...that isn't what I am trying to do. My LBM is only 103
lbs...I can't afford to lose any muscle. I want to concentrate mainly on gaining muscle right now but I
would like to lose a couple lbs of fat in the process. Am I on the right path for that or are my cals too low?
This diet averages 1755 cals over the week. Is this enough? If anyone has any suggestions on what to change
please let me know. The only reason I am concerned about fat loss is because I don't want to have to lose
more than a pound a week when I am pre-comp & have a lot of fat to lose because then I will just lose
all the muscle I've gained as well.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:14 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

Default Re: advice please

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by reesa:</font><hr /> Hey everyone,
I am 5'8" 136, 24% bodyfat. I want to gain muscle and lose fat over the course of the next several months.
I have been lifting for several yrs. and I would like to compete next spring either bb/figure..not sure yet.
Anyways here is what I was thinking of trying for at least the next 7 weeks b4 I get my bf% tested again
please advise:

Sun - shoulders/abs:
Mon - cardio :30 min
Tues- cardio :30 min
Wed- chest/triceps:
Thur- back/biceps
Fri - cardio :30 min
Sat - legs

I used to always do my cardio after weights but I find it better to separate the two now. I use the
elliptical trainer and just try to go a little bit further each time so I know I am keeping the intensity
up. (No intervals for now though). For weights I am doing the "mass" exercises:
bench presses/deadlifts/squats/leg presses/pull-ups, etc. After warming up usually I do
3-5 working sets; heavy weights; my rep ranges are 5-8 reps for most exercises.<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">I would also incorporate some isolation exercises or at least change things up a bit after doing just the mass exercises for several weeks. Keep your workout routine varied and include isolation exercises. Also, ideal rep range for hypertrophy is 8-12 reps, I would shoot for those reps if I were you. Lower than 8 reps will focus more on building strength rather than gaining size, altho it is good to vary your rep ranges. Check out Jacob's articles on muscle fibers in the magazine section, May issue. This will explain things in detail as far as what rep ranges stimulate what types of muscle fibers and how hypertrophy occurs, etc.</font color>

[ QUOTE ]
This is the diet I am going to do:

Sun, Wed, Thurs (w8 training days):

cals: 1870
carbs: 200g

Mon, Tues, Fri (cardio only days):

cals: 1470
carbs: 100g

Sat (leg day):

cals: 2270
carbs: 300g

What do you think? Will this help me lose fat &amp; add muscle? I know these are two opposing goals and
I can't gain a lot of muscle while losing a lot of fat...that isn't what I am trying to do. My LBM is only 103
lbs...I can't afford to lose any muscle. I want to concentrate mainly on gaining muscle right now but I
would like to lose a couple lbs of fat in the process. Am I on the right path for that or are my cals too low?
This diet averages 1755 cals over the week. Is this enough?<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">My opinion is that your carbohydrate intake is a bit too high while your fat intake is too low. Ultimately you are going to have to experiment to find what works for you but I found thru experimentation that I needed to stay below 200g of carbs a day to effectively lose fat and yes, I also gained muscle at the same time (if you have the time, check out my first journal and the link in my signature to my current 2nd journal, I believe my first journal has most of the experimentation I did in it). And I stayed under 200g even on the day I had 3 hour long speed skating practices, which are very intense with very little breaks. Also, two of us on Abc are following Beverly diets which call for a LOT less carbs than you are taking in and yet we are retaining and even gaining (in sicily1962's case) muscle mass. As far as your calories go, that is something you will have to kinda "feel out" for yourself as I found I take in a lot more calories than most other women my age and weight. You will have to be observant, as in pay attention to how you look in the mirror, how your clothes fit, how you feel, get body fat readings done at least once a month, etc. What worked for me to gain muscle and lose fat was to NOT CUT my calories at all but instead just eat clean and keep my carbs fairly low (again see my first journal). And if you want a ballpark idea of what your calories should be, go into the nutrition section and read 13 Weeks to Hardcore Fat Burning " The Diet " as it gives 3 different methods on figuring out your caloric intake. I'd average the results from the 3 methods just to give you a ballpark idea. Hope this helps. I think if you read thru my journals at your leisure they'll help a lot as well. That is mainly why I keep my journals on here, to help other women. [img]/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] </font color>
Old 08-14-2002, 02:35 PM
reesa should change his/her status!
Stranger

Hey Krypto!!! Thanks for your informative response! I took your advice and I read Jacob's muscle fiber articles, thanks for the tips. I am going to vary my rep ranges more
to stimulate all my muscle fibers and to keep getting results. I read over your journals and saw your pics...I will take your advice anyday, it sure is working for you.
After looking over my diet/training journal over the past 3 weeks I have found I have been eating, on average:

CAL: 2057
Carbs: 249g (48%)
Pro: 190g (37%)
Fat: 34.4g (15%)

Not all really clean either. Maybe 70-75%. Well all that is going to change. I am on vacation this week so I have plenty of time to figure out a decent nutrition/training program b4 I go
back to the dungeon
[img]/forum/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I've decided to just really clean up the diet and change my macros to approximately 50% Pro, 20% Carb, 30% Fat.

Here is a sample diet I worked up:

M1 - 1 carton eggbeaters, 1 ezekiel tortilla**, 3 oz. turkey
M2 - 2 scoops Optimum Whey, 1 TB Natural PB
M3 - (?) oz. skinless chicken breast, 1/2 cup onions, 1 TB safflower oil
M4 - 1 ezekiel tortilla, (?) oz. chicken (or carton of eggbeaters)
M5 - 3 scoops Just-Whey, 1/2 cup oats (or ez. tortilla)
M6 - same as M2 or: 1 cup lowfat cottage ch, 1 TB PB

**is made of grains/seeds, no flour
My workouts will be between M4 &amp; M5...should I eat the items listed above for M4 &amp; M5 on my cardio only days as well? Or just switch the order or some of the meals around ? Any suggestions??
If I replace these meals with EFA/Protein meals instead my total carbs will be pretty low like 50-60g. If I do this then will I need a carb up day/meal?

oh yeah, the reason for the (?) next to chicken is because I don't know how many cals/protein is in an ounce. Same goes for turkey. I will look them up though on the abc calorie chart after writing this post.

totals:
c=100.5
p=282.5
f=55.75

or if you use the items in parentheses instead it comes out to:

c= 117.5
p= 238.5
f= 50.75

Let me know what you think, I can use the help. Thanks again

[img]/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2002, 07:06 PM
should change his/her status! Edit

<blockquote><font class="small">posted by reesa:</font><hr />I've decided to just really clean up the diet and change my macros to approximately 50% Pro, 20% Carb, 30% Fat.

Here is a sample diet I worked up:

M1 - 1 carton eggbeaters, 1 ezekiel tortilla**, 3 oz. turkey
M2 - 2 scoops Optimum Whey, 1 TB Natural PB
M3 - (?) oz. skinless chicken breast, 1/2 cup onions, 1 TB safflower oil
M4 - 1 ezekiel tortilla, (?) oz. chicken (or carton of eggbeaters)
M5 - 3 scoops Just-Whey, 1/2 cup oats (or ez. tortilla)
M6 - same as M2 or: 1 cup lowfat cottage ch, 1 TB PB

**is made of grains/seeds, no flour
My workouts will be between M4 &amp; M5...should I eat the items listed above for M4 &amp; M5 on my cardio only days as well? Or just switch the order or some of the meals around ? Any suggestions??<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">Your fat intake looks like it might be too low on some of your meals. Make sure you're getting enough fat and fiber in your meals to help with staying full for longer and to help curb carb cravings. And I would have just green veggies for carbs in your last two meals on your cardio days. </font color>

[ QUOTE ]
If I replace these meals with EFA/Protein meals instead my total carbs will be pretty low like 50-60g. If I do this then will I need a carb up day/meal?<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">No, just go higher carbs on weight training days. Also just replace the carbs in the last two meals with green veggies on cardio only days. </font color>

[ QUOTE ]
oh yeah, the reason for the (?) next to chicken is because I don't know how many cals/protein is in an ounce. Same goes for turkey. I will look them up though on the abc calorie chart after writing this post.<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">It think fitday.com has calorie and macronutrient counts for foods as well. </font color>

[ QUOTE ]
totals:
c=100.5
p=282.5
f=55.75

or if you use the items in parentheses instead it comes out to:

c= 117.5
p= 238.5
f= 50.75

Let me know what you think, I can use the help. Thanks again
[img]/forum/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">I think cals are a bit too low, at least this early in the game since you said you've averaged around 2057. You may want to go with 2057 on cardio days and actually bump it up just a bit for weight training days, like by 100 - 200 calories. I don't think you need to cut calories quite yet and trust me, you don't want to do that if you don't have to. You can't gain any muscle at all if your calories are too low but you can gain muscle AND lose fat if you are eating clean maintenance calories and high protein, low carb. Also don't be afraid of fat. Some of my diets I was taking in equal ratios of protein to fat. [img]/forum/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]</font color>
Closed Thread