ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - The Comeback
Thread: The Comeback
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 10:51 PM
JoeKingPT is "The Comeback"

Default The Comeback

My official comeback journal - I'm keeping it simple, short and to the point. Feel free to comment/post ask any questions here. I won't be posting much elsewhere on the boards, so if you want me to see it - post it in this thread. Thanks!

About me:

I became a personal trainer in 1999. Throughout the years I've been certified by ACE, AFAA, ISSA and NASM. I currently hold NASM CPT, PES and CES as well as dotFIT nutrition cert. I earned a B.S. in Kinesiology with an emphasis in Nutrition and Wellness from CSU Hayward in 2004 and a M.S. in Exercise Physiology from CSU East Bay in 2007. I've been writing health and fitness articles for various publications and websites since 2001. I started off as an administrator/co-owner of ABCbodybuilding.com (under the handle "Yu Yevon") and wrote in-depth training, nutrition and supplementation articles for the Journal of Hyperplasia Research (JHR). In 2006 I became a staff writer for Livestrong and have written over 180 in-depth articles to date.

Today I am the Personal Training Director and Strength Coach at a athlete-oriented fitness facility in the California Bay Area with a staff of over a dozen expert trainers and coaches. I also help maintain a fitness blog. In the past, I have been known for my intense workouts (especially with high volume and shocking principles). I'd like to share some of them and my progress here in this journal. I've been out of bodybuilding for about 6-years and I'm testing the waters to see if I still have what it takes.

Here is my current workout split, although I keep it dynamic so I don't necessarily adhere to it exactly.

Mon - Chest/Triceps
Tues - Back/Biceps/Traps
Wed - Thighs/Calves
Thurs - Delts/Traps
Fri - Biceps/Triceps/Forearms
Sat - Rest (or lower body)
Sun - Rest

I typically train abs every third day mixed in with the rest of my routine. I look forward to logging my workouts and getting motivation from this community!

Here's my first entry:

1/6/14

Today I felt pretty good, even though my workout partner had to skip because he's sick. I trained Chest/Triceps. My right shoulder is still in a fair amount of pain (recovering from torn labrum), but it has been consistently feeling better and better.

A.M. Cardio - Stairmaster (45-minutes on Lvl. 7) - 685 calories

Afternoon Weights:

5-min warm up on the rower

Dumbbell Flat Bench Press - 5 sets (15/12/10/8/6). 2-3 second hold on the bottom of each rep.

Barbell Incline Bench Press with Medium Grip - 4 sets (12/10/8/6). Keep your elbows slightly forward to enable you to go deeper with the bar. My shoulder hurt so I couldn't go quite as deep as I would like.

Hammer Strength Single-Arm Incline Press - 4 sets (15/12/10/8). One arm at a time, make sure to get full extension each rep.

Standing High Pulley Cable Crossovers - 4 sets (12/10/8/6). Focus on the squeeze.

Barbell Seated Overhead Tricep Extensions superset with Standing Rope Extensions- 4 sets (12/12/10/10 and 15/12/10/8). Increase the weight halfway through the barbell work and try to increase the weight each set of rope extensions.

One-Arm Pulley Pushdowns - 4 sets (20/20/20/20). Keep the weight the same and burn out the triceps.

Cambered Bar Standing Tricep Pushdowns - 4 sets (12/10/8/8). Finish strong.