ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Diet Reivew
Thread: Diet Reivew
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 08:25 PM
biglifter56 should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsimo View Post
For breakfast i'd scrap the whole thing and just go for oats, milk and whey. Approx 600-700 calories. You want some decent low GI carbs and a solid protein source to start your day well. Don't fear if this ends up being your highest macro meal of the day, it probably should be!
On a cut i'd avoid fruit, If you are having any carbs i'd want them digesting down to glucose and not fructose. Reason being that fructose will replenish liver glycogen stores and not muscle glycogen stores. Considering your workout regime i'd want to maximise glycogen stores in my muscles especially since you'll be eating lower carbs anyway. That's not to say you cant eat fruit. But i'd be having it later in the day after my workout or not at all.
Get your vitamins from leafy greens and vegetables, not to mention your multivitamin supplement.
The mid section of your day looks good, little and often to boost your metabolism. If you find you are struggling to achieve over 5g of leucine per meal from your protein sources then add in some BCAA's with those meals to boost your amino acid intake. I'd also monitor your carb intake on these as you dont seem to have one. Personally for the first 2 meals after your workout i'd want some low GI carbs even if its only 30g of sweet potatoes or oatmeal. But taper it so you have lower carbs with meals 5 and 6.
Finally at the end of your day i'd scrap the whey protein and add in something containing casein, e.g. cottage cheese, quark or a casein powder. I'd also have your cocao nibs and chia seeds with this final meal as the fiber and fat content will help slow your digestion keeping you anabolic for longer overnight.

Hope the advise helps.

Thanks for the quality reply.

A few questions/comments:

1) I've read a bit about dairy products in general and aside from stuff like cottage cheese(high protein source), it doesn't seem like your gaining much from a nutritional standpoint from them, which is why I don't use milk in general(pasteurization kills most of the beneficial milk bacteria and you can't get raw milk in the US). I could get behind cottage cheese because it seems like it's got a bit more in the way of slow digesting protein, which seems huge at night. In the AM I'm leaning more towards either using water or coconut water with my shake. There's a little bit of sugar/carbs in the coconut water, which is kind of a down side.

2) I was just comparing quinoa to oatmeal and it seems like quinoa is crushing it across the board from a nutrition standpoint:

Quinoa had a 53 on the glycemic index, oatmeal has 55.

A single cup serving of 234g cooked oatmeal provides :

Calories 166
Total fat 4g (5% Daily Value reqd. by body (DV))
Saturated fat 1g (4% DV)
Trans Fat - 0g
Cholesterol 0mg (0% DV)
Sodium 9mg (0% DV)
Total carbohydrates 32g (11% DV)
Dietary fiber 4g (16% DV)
Sugars - 1g
Protein 6g
Calcium 2%
Iron 12%
Vitamin C 0%
Vitamin A 0%

Cooked Quinoa

For a serving size of 185g

Calories 222
Calories from fat 32
Total fat 4g (16% DV)
Saturated fat (0% DV)
Cholesterol 0mg (0% DV)
Sodium 13mg (1% DV)
Total carbohydrates 39g (13% DV)
Dietary fiber 5g (21% DV)
Protein 8g (48% DV)
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 3%
Iron 15%

3) Does the fact that the banana/blueberries are converted to fructose in the liver outweigh the nutritional benefit, particularly the zinc in blueberries? Even if my portions are relatively small? I think your right about the fruit, I'm just curious what other sources of food can get me those nutrients, aside from multi vitamins.

Good point on the cacao and chia at night. I'll definitely switch that around.
6/18=228

Bulking till April.

Goals Get up to 240 by April
Cut to ~10%BF by july
Dont get hurt