ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Back from Hibernation and Lost!
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 PM
dtg should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
1) Both. : )
You want to have an idea of how much carbs/fat/protein you are taking in so you can make adjustments as your weight loss progresses or stalls.

Naturally, eliminating junk is the first step as is increasing water intake.

2) 3 to 4 meals is fine. The best meal plan is one that you can stick to and allows you to eat healthy foods and feel satiated.

3) No, when losing weight you want to MILK each step for all it's worth.
Example:
If you are used to working out twice a week and eating 3500 calories.
First step may be to drop to 3000 calories a day and still workout twice per week. Why play all your cards right away? You need to have some tricks up your sleeve.

Alternate increasing activity with decreasing carbs/fat (but mostly carbs).

With the above example, when fat loss stalls, you may add in a third day of working out. Stick with that until fat loss stalls again. Then cut calories by several hundred per day. It is an ongoing tweaking process.

4) As you can see from my answer to #3, the answer to this question is highly dependent on what you have been doing previously.

However, in terms of ideal, you want to make sure you include some heavy lifting as that gives your body the stimulous to keep muscle. When you are in a caloric deficit, your body wants to get rid of excess of all forms, that includeds fat and muscle. Therefore, heavy lifting is VERY important.

I would definitely include at least one basic lift each workout (squat, deadlift, press, row) and do 3 to 5 sets in the 3 to 6 rep range.
Thank you. I was actually planning to start off with a 3x per week 5x5 type workout. What I mean by "type" is that I will not exactly follow the 5x5 tonnage protocol and just select 3-4 exercises and do them 5x5 each workout. My cycle will probably look something like this:

Day 1: Squats, Weighted Pullups, BB Military Press, BB Bench
Day 2: Abs + either 15 mins HIIT or 30 mins moderate cardio
Day 3: Deadlifts, DB Shoulder Press, Seated Rows, BB Bicep Curls, Weighted Dips
Day 4: Abs + either 15 mins HIIT or 30 mins moderate cardio
Day 5: Leg Press, Inclined BB Press, Weighted Pullups, BB Upright Rows
Day 6: Complete Rest (as much as I can get with 3 small children at home!)
Day 7: Light recovery (maybe a very slow jog/walk for 30 minutes, or perhaps some yoga/stretching)

Would love to hear your feedback. Thanks.
Working hard to get back in shape

Last edited by dtg; 07-09-2013 at 06:12 PM.