ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Occlusion Training For Injury Rehab?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 12:35 PM
SnuffSaid should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Occlusion Training For Injury Rehab?

I underwent discectomy surgery 5 or 6 months ago on my L5-S1 disc, my physiotherapist has recommended kaatsu/occlusion training to build back a little strength and size whilst I still can't use heavy loads.

The problem is I can only find studies that testify to the efficacy of occlusion, usually by applying it to one muscle group (typically the quadriceps). However, I'm wanting to use occlusion to build a balanced full body routine, not to bring up a lagging body part or supplement a standard strength training routine. The closest to decent information I've come to was two studies by "Jeremy Loenneke", a member of this site who appears to no longer be active.

I guess I must need spoonfeeding because despite the papers being rather thorough, I'm still at a loss as to how to structure such a routine since I can't apply much of my knowledge of strength training to this field, which is alien to me.

My physio recommended 1 upper and 1 lower exercise per day, 4 sets to failure with 20% 1MR, 9 days on, 4 days off. A study I read that did similarly amongst American football players used only squat and bench press, but I can't imagine that will do wonders for my upper back and deltoid size, or my pull-up strength etc. But if I do, say;

Day 1 - Squat + Bench
Day 2 - Deadlift + Lat Pull / Inverted Row
Day 3 - Calf Raise + Military Press
And so forth...

Will this reduced frequency in hitting each body part hinder results? What exactly is optimal in occlusion training?

Apologies for the length of the post but I've found frustratingly little about this via Google.

Any recommendations on how I can go about this?