ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Creating a Power training program for firefighters
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Kenny Croxda should change his/her status!
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algavinn View Post
I'm guessing that beyond general fitness and establishing tensegrity to minimize injuries, they would most likely be interested in power training, with some degrees of absolute strength, for those emergency situations when they may have to move something off themselves, or someone else.

I certainly have some ideas, but I would love to get a mixture of input on: what actual goals firefighters might have as priorities, where to get the best resources on power training program building, and finally all of your direct thoughts on what you would do to improve someones ability to have power reserves in potentially emergency situations.
The Foundation of Power

The foundation of power and speed is built with increasing Limit Strength, your 1 Repetition Max.

Think of it like this, an athlete who can squat 400 lbs can move a 200 lb squat with more power than a athlete who squats 300 lbs.

Thus, initially to increase power, you need to increase strength.

"Lifting Heavy Weights Make You Muscle Bound"

There is some validity to that statement.

Research shows if all your training revolves around lifing heavy weight, your power and speed will decrease.

That because of the conversion of the "Explosive Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber" to "Strength Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber".

Intermediate and Advance Lifters Training Protocol

Once past the novice state, Limit Strength Training (increasing your 1 Repetition Max) alone will decrease your Power and Speed.

To maximize Power and/or Speed, Limit Strength must be combined with Power and/or Speed movements.

Conjugate Training

This simply means different types of strength training are employed in the same training program.

This method method provide a synergistic effect. One type of strengh training enhances the other.

Power Training

The Poster Children for Power Training are Olympic Lifters. They combine Limit Strength movements with Power and Speed exercises.

Training on Limit Strength (Squats, Bench Press, Deadlifts, etc) allows an athlete to increase Power.

Training Power exercises, such as Olympic movments allows you to increase your Limit Strength.

Power is the grease the allows you to slide through your sticking point in a Limit Strength movement.

Power allows you to generate momentum and slide through your sticking point.

Firefighters Training

Firefighter need more of a General Physical Preparedness Training: Strength, Power and most of all great Aerobic Conditioning.

Aerobic Conditioning

There is only so much oxgen in the tanks they wear. How long that tank last is dependent to a large extent on their VO2 Max.

The greater their VO2 Max, the longer their oxygen supply will last. Also, the greater they can maintain their work capacity.

So, what you want is a foundation that is built on first of all increasing their aerobic capacity along with increasing their strength and power.

With that in mind, Link stated it best, "...I find the best training is general strength training, with HIIT cardio and almost like a cross fit type training supplemented on various days."

Tabata Protocol

One the most brutal forms of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) it the Tabata Protocol.

The Tabata Protocol has demonstrated the ability to increase anaerobic and aerobic capacity at the SAME time.

The Tabata Protocol equates to, "Being able to have your cake and eat it." Which is an anomaly when it come to training.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited by Kenny Croxda; 12-23-2012 at 01:59 PM.