ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Commanding My Body
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

I want to squat badly, so I am always messing around in spite of my recent difficulties. I think I stumbled on something.

I was doing some bodyweight squats, trying to get in a groove. Everything was hurting my knee. Finally, I lifted my heels up in the air, and squatted on the balls of my feet.

Viola! Pain free. I thought, could it be my ankles? I have read countless squat articles and I never thought I was one of those guys who is tight in all sorts of areas. Granted, I have done some exercises too losen up my hips, but overall, I didn't think I was a super tight guy. Ankle mobility, whatever, mine's fine right? I guess not. I truly think (now) that the tendons around my ankle were tight and that was in turn pulling on my knee joint.

I didn't want to do a bunch of stupid mobility exercises, I figured one movement could help my ankle mobility and help open up the hips/groin all in one. So I dropped into the squat stretch.

I gradually let myself sink deeper and deeper, thus increasing the angle at my ankle and the amount of stretch it received. I did this for about 1 minute at a time about 5 or 6 times this morning and bodyweight squats felt fine.

Now, in a few days, maybe I will ranting about my knees and squatting again. But I really think I found the key.

I did have tendonitis in the summer after all the squat partials, but I think that when I gave up on squatting to help get my knee back to normal allowed certain areas to tighten up because they were not receiving the normal stretch and stimulation that they usually received (since the deadlift doesn't involve nearly the same knee or ankle angles and ROM).

So how can you tell between tendonitis which needs rest and something that is just tight and needs warmed up and stretched? I think the answer lies in the pain. If it's painful all the time, then it's probably tendonitis, if it is only painful in deep ROM, than it's probably tight. I am going to try and remember this for future injuries.

Now, applying this to my shoulder, I would say it's some type of tendonitis and I need to be careful and rest it from pressing.

Helpful resources:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...letproof_knees
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ower_body_pain

Thursday - Legs

Squat Chains (+50)
220, 225,230, 235, 240, 245x3
250x3, 2 sets
250x1, 1, 1, 1, 1 - cluster set
177.5x6, 4 sets - last rep paused on the hole on these sets, slow negative as well
177.5x4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1 - 10 second rest between mini sets

DB Swings
62x10, 4 sets

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano

Last edited by Commander; 11-29-2012 at 05:24 PM.