ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Commanding My Body
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

I was able to get in a workout before going into another midnight shift.

After the workout, my wife and I watched the 2nd episode of the Walking Dead. I must say, this season is great thus far.

Attempting some quad dominant leg stuff

Split Squats (both legs elevated for ROM, rear leg a bit higher)
BWx10
40x5
40x5 (1.5 reps), 2 sets
50x5
25x6, 2 sets
BWx6

Did some pushups between sets of split squats

Some back work to finish off

Ring Row w/ Pushups
BWx6, 4 sets

Ring Row - 15 seconds between each micro set
BWx3, 3, 3, 3

Cable Rope Row - 15 seconds between each micro set
BWx3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Ring Row - 15 seconds between each micro set
BWx4, 4, 4, 4

* I thought I could do the split squat without hurting my knee, and it felt pretty good during, but afterward it seemed aggravated. I am going to have to keep a close eye on that. My legs are shrinking since I've been unable to do heavy back or front squats. It is really frustrating.

I have tried several workarounds to still hit my quads without hurting my knee and none have been very effective or totally pain free. I still have a few ideas to try:
Reverse Lunge
Cable Belt Squats
Squats off the rack (set at a ROM that doesn't hurt my knee) - only when kids awake, this will be loud
Occlusion - leg extensions or squats done with a ROM that doesn't hurt, just made more intense with occlusion.

I plan to try some of these as soon as I get a chance. I was really hoping the split squats would be OK as they felt decent when I tried them. Unfortunately, getting your feet on platforms/benches and trying to load the exercise is a bit awkward, so maybe I am better off. Cable belt squats will also be awkward. Reverse Lunge may be OK, and not as awkward to load since your feet are simply on the floor. I maybe able to make light squats work with occlusion. I have some hope there. Squats off the rack may also be a good one, but I would likely only get to do that once a week on the weekends (when I could workout while the kids are awake).

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano

Last edited by Commander; 10-24-2012 at 12:00 PM.