ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Programs for the not so young
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 11:54 PM
mikeydlaw should change his/her status!
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
I'm getting this 7 days off the gym and studying up as much as I can. The common agreement seems to be to prevent exercising to failing, something that is probably going to be complicated at first. I'm going to prevent failing absolutely and begin relatively low and just develop up the body weight weekly maintaining repetitions the same until I level and gradually hit failing, take per 7 days off then fall body weight returning down and begin again.
This is what I have been doing and so far so good. I've increased my warm up from 5 minutes to 10 and spending more time stretching before working out. I'm doing the FST-7 workout at the moment.

You are right it is a little challenging not going to failure every set if that is what you have always done but it's not as hard as you think. I'm just trying to focus on good form first and foremost rather than how much I am lifting and how many reps I am doing. As soon as I feel my form is starting to go I end the set. In the past I would have kept going and pushed out 2 or 3 more reps.

On my first set I am doing 20 reps, second 18, third 12-16, fourth 8-12 and fifth 8-12. Increasing the weight each set.

I'm only three weeks back into training since taking my break and only second week into the FST-7 programme so still early days. I also purchased some of those exercise bands to do some rotator cuff exercises at home and I've changed my technique on bench and incline press.