ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - jogging, losing fat, gaining muscle
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ectomorph42 View Post
forgive me if I didn't understand what you're trying to say
I can forgive you, no sweat. It's just that I tried to post answers directly below each question (like I did in this thread so as to make it very comprehendable, I am not sure how else to say it.

I will answer each question in order.

Quote:
but I've made up my mind to lose first my stomach and hips
OK, fair enough, that's your decision. But definitely not what I recommended.

Quote:
to lose first my stomach and hips..should my weight decrease in order to do that?
Yes, losing fat will mean your bodyweight is decreasing.

Quote:
meaning I will do jogging, crunches etc..then I will eat less in order to lose my stomach and thighs..or can I eat sufficiently?
No, you can't eat sufficiently in terms of calories burned equallying calories consumed. You should make sure you eating foods that are sufficient in quality macro and micro nutrients. Do not eat junk.

The overall formula for losing fat is:

Calories consumed < Calories burned

Crunches will not make you lose your stomach. That's not to say they are pointless, actually, crunches will help you build up your abdominals which can help with the appearance of leanness as your stomach muscles start to "show through" the fat so to speak. But don't get caught up in the idea of doing crunches to lose the fat on your stomach.

Jogging is okay to do, but again, not optimal. Fat loss is achieved with a healthy diet. Can jogging and activity create a caloric deficit? Sure, but the main way to create a caloric deficit is by eating less.

Quote:
is it possible to lose my stomach even if I'm not losing weight? I want to lose 4 inches of it.. my target is 29" and my current stomach is 34..

Thanks..
In terms of losing your stomach but not losing weight, you are talking about decreasing some fat while increasing some muscle, thus the bodyweight remains relatively stable.

Keep in mind, most people will not gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. However, there are 2 situations where you have the best chance to do this.

1. Extremely obese (not you)
2. Relative beginner

At, 5'6" and 148 lbs, you definitely fit into the second category. Right now is your main chance try and reach both objectives at the same time. Once you get to a more intermediate level in terms of your training, you will really need to focus on only one goal at a time to get any serious results.

Since you are a beginner, this is why I initially suggested (found here) that you work to gain some muscle. In the process of trying to gain muscle and only being in a slighty surplus, you stand the greatest chance of actually putting on some size to your shoulders and chest while losing some of your stomach fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCory View Post
With all due respect he's answered that question multiple times; read back his answers.
Thanks Cory!

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano