ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Training to failure!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Commander is enjoying bodybuilding
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatkeen View Post
Why not advisable? from the description slimshad7 is giving i presume he is following something along the lines of DC (though not strictly DC)...which calls for each set to complete Positive failure..followed by 3 rest pause sets. Now the point to note here is .... over training is avoided by controlling frequency and overall volume of workout..and week off/deload every 5-6weeks or as required.

strictly DC calls for just 1 freaking WORKSET for a particular bodypart. you dont over train that simply....for eg: Shoulders - say Military Press....after required warm up....1 heavy set to positive failure in your desired rep range - that could be any where between 8-12 ideally..followed by 3 rest pause sets. AND That' IT... shoulder workout is done for the day.

But then i am sure Commander you are already very well aware of DC protocol.
By your own description, it is clear he is way past DC.

1. As you mention, DC only calls for 1 workset (with the rest pause of course) but he is doing many sets to failure (12 sets for chest in his recent post).

2. I watched many videos of prominent DC advocates, and they do not let their form deteriorate to the point of legs flopping around or having to drop the bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatkeen View Post
???. Ecko31 posted
Sorry if there was confusion because I didn't directly quote him. Here is what I was referring to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko31s View Post
For example:
Barbell press 135x15 185x10 225x8 250x8 275x6 315x7(failure)
If your were to do each set to complete failure your routine my look like this:
135x50 185x35 225x20 250x13 275x8 315x2
On the heaviest set you would be exhausted from the previous sets and would be weaker. It would be hard to make progress and you would probably hit a plateau quickly stuck at the same weight for a period of time. With the first example you would simply go for one more rep each workout on the heaviest set or add small weight increments such as 2.5 or 5lbs and try to perform the same amount of reps.
Example:
week 1 315x7
week 2 315x8 or 317.5x7 or 320x7
with this method you can steadily make progress each week and continue to get stronger. Well at least in my case...Never know until you try something.
When I said the Ecko posted that steering clear of failure can help towards getting more on the heavy set and having more total volume I was referring to his illustration above in red.

James 1:16-17 ESV
Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights
With God's help...Mens sana in corpore sano