ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Advice on switching up training routine
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 11:21 PM
inducer is in need of a refresher from ABCbodybuilding!
Bantamweight

Default Advice on switching up training routine

Hey guys,

I've been on an extremely clean bulk for about the past 5 months (I did a few weeks of strength training before then). So I've been on my clean bulk since about the beginning of June but I have to admit that from June until about mid September because of an extremely busy schedule (work/internship) I wasn't getting the most out of lifting (I would miss meals and usually only have a chance to work out 2-3 days/week). The problem with my internship was that my hours and location of work changed every 2-3 weeks due to my placements and there was a lot of stress with keeping up with everything and unfortunately I couldn't make lifting/nutrition as much of a priority.

I finally have a more consistent schedule as I'm done with the toughest part of my internship and my hours/work location won't change so frequently. So, now that I finally have some free time, I need to re-evaluate my training so I can optimize my gains. I've gained about 6 pounds over the past 5 months (I now weigh 167 pounds and I'm 5'11). Since October, I've had a lot more flexibility/consistency with my schedule and I've been going to the gym about 6 days/week (lifting 4-5 days and cardio 1-2 days/week) so even though I haven't gained much weight over the last 5 months, I've tried to minimize fat gain and I feel almost as lean now as I did 5 months ago (I haven't checked using calipers yet but I plan to soon). I was at 9% body fat when I started the clean bulk 5 months ago and I don't think I'm much higher than that now.

My biggest goal from lifting is still hypertrophy and I have been switching up my exercises, throwing in supersets/drop sets etc here and there but mostly still sticking to the basics (focusing on compound exercises and mostly free weights). I have been keeping a record of how much I lift/# of reps for the past few months and I'm still seeing gains there and usually I still feel sore in the muscle group(s) I worked. In terms of nutrition, lately I've been eating as clean as possible....eating 6 meals/day, sticking to complex CHO except post workouts, taking in 1.5 g/lb of quality protein/day.

Anyways, sorry for the long description but I'm wondering if you guys would recommend that I go a cut (and if so for how long) or should I continue to switch up exercises and throw in shock methods here and there like I have been doing recently? Like I said, I've been on a clean bulk and doing regular cardio now so I haven't gained much body fat and I would still like to put on some more size. I am tweaking with my diet a bit here and there (adding kcal etc) and am still seeing some weight gain.

I've been doing a lot of reading on ABC bodybuilding and have learned a ton over the last few months. Its great to see members sharing their knowledge and genuinely wanting to help others achieve their goals!

Last edited by inducer; 11-05-2011 at 11:55 PM.