ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - An important topic seldom talked about!
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Charles Izzo should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel0365 View Post
I can't relate much yet on the terminologies, but I do sense in the post the necessity of an awareness that general participation on physical training need not be focused on common goals but on individual needs. I for one have a different need, and need not be built as anyone else. Just enough to stay fit the rest of the lifetime.

Hope you guys post more on this topic.
I agree 100%. And it is a good point. People often get all caught up on different ideas as to how one should train, just "because" thats how everyone does it. If your goals aren't the same as the guys in the magazines for example, then you shouldn't be training the same either.

For example, I can remember a few years ago when I was training to compete in powerlifting I was only training 2 times per week. That worked for me and my team mates and I actually had a lot of trouble keeping the extra weight off during that time period. When I told that to a friend he said he thought 2 workouts per week wasn't enough. And this was coming from the same guy who said I was too big. My simple argument was that if I was already big enough then what purpose would extra workouts serve me?

What's typical? Its generally thought that people should train at least 3 times per week. Thats just what people do and it works. So I can't argue with that. But just as another example, if ones goals don't consist of gaining muscle then there really is no point in training more than once or twice per week, at least with weights that is.

I can remember years ago I had a friend ask me about how to lose weight. He claimed he wasn't interested in getting big muscles either. I don't remember what I told him, but you can be sure weight training was one of my recommendations. I was a bit younger then and less knowledgeable on the subject.

The funny thing is that a lot of people who don't know much about weight training always assume that it has to be about getting huge. Perhaps to some it is. And perhaps someone with only a bodybuilding background might recommend weight training in such a way that makes you bigger.

But if someone asked me the same question right now, someone who wasn't interested in getting huge, I'd probably recommend weight training only once per week specifically for the purpose of preserving muscle, and then perhaps a few more other types of exercise such as running. I think that idea would definitely sound more attractive for such an individual and they would be more likely to give it a try. Because perhaps gaining muscle isn't wanted or needed for some people. But muscle perseverance is important for long term leanness and good health.