ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - An important topic seldom talked about!
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Charles Izzo should change his/her status!
Light-Heavyweight

Well, that wasn't exactly the point of my thread. But it was just an example.

As I understand it from Arnold's autobiography, he always trained high volume. He always did 2 workouts per day when he lived back home. And when he was in the army they made him workout for 6 hours per day instead of his normal job that would be greasing the wheels on the tanks, because they said that was what he was meant to do.

There is no reason why high volume training wouldn't work. Any amount of volume of training will work as long as you work hard and try hard. And as I understand it, while on AAS your gains are going to be better no matter if you are training less or more, again so long as you work hard.

So if both work then a lot of it boils down to factors such as how you like to train and obviously your recovery levels. I have heard of old retired bodybuilders who still train 6 days out of the week. I can also remember Tom Platz for example who claimed when he was competing he simply didn't have as much time to train as often as he used to so he had to make every workout he did count. He used to train legs once every 10-14 days, but as I understand it his leg workouts were unbelievably brutal.

I think with athletes such as Arnold Swarzenegger and Tom Platz we are talking about two guys who truly trained passionately no matter what their style of training was. They each made an art out of their training, not so much a science. Because where is the science? Other than knowing the fact that if you work a muscle hard it will grow, I simply don't see the science behind what they were doing. Each was different in their own ways. But the fact that holds true about both of these guys is that they knew what they wanted to accomplish and they both found ways that worked in order to get what they wanted. They found their own unique ways to design their programs such that it would give them the results they were looking for. Thats art. Thats passion. And without the right mental strategy there would have been know way they could have made it to where they are. They were both highly imaginative individuals who could imagine themselves being champions and do what it takes to get there. It takes mental drive and passion. There isn't a lot of people like that.

This all reminds me of some writing I read by this old champion olympic lifter John Davis:
http://www.brookskubik.com/johndavis_speaks.html

I think its like that for most sports, but people always some how try to make it into more than it really is. People argue and ponder so much about different theories, but when you recognize the fact of how much differently some of the champions trained, you realize it doesn't really matter so much. Also, as I understand it, AAS makes such a big difference in the gains you make that even further it won't matter as much how you train. Train harder 3 times per week or train harder 6 times per week, you can still gain up to 30 lbs. And you can still cut and gain muscle at the same time. Clarence said he did it once. While on AAS he cut close to 10 lbs of fat off while gaining a few lbs of muscle.