ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Ben2285 is doing everything possible to progress
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I think that is a really good idea.

I think HIIT is great, but the main issue is overtraining with HIIT. It is basically like doing weights. One method I use to avoid the problems with HIIT in terms of overtraining are to seperate them from my leg workouts by 48 hours. That way I will be recovered for legs. I.E. doing hill sprints the day before a leg workout is not too smart!

I was actually bout to post this, but I am starting to cut tomorrow and pretty psyched. My cardio I am thinking will be:

1. NEAT - this will be most of my low intensity. I pretty easily get 10-15 thousand steps a day just by taking the stairs, or walking to class. I do not believe this type of cardio causes any concurrent training effect. It is just a good way to metabolize some exra cals.
2. I will do weights am and cardio pm to minimize interference with metabolic adaptations from weights.
3. My plan is to do 10-20 minutes of sprints or occluded cardio followed by 30 mins low intensity cardio at night. Except day before legs I might just do some low intensity cardio. Jake and I propsed a while ago that doing HIIT followed by low I cardio is optimal because you peak the catecholamines, which causes a lot of lypolysis, but less fat oxidation at higher intensities. But when you lower the intensity, the rise in lipids in the blood stream are quickly oxidized. It's explained in this article, http://abcbodybuilding.com/cardiolayman.pdf and studies have since supported our hypothesis.

So that's my plan for cardio.

As far as the apparatus, when jake and I were reseaching this it seamed that doing the bike caused the least concurrent training effects. While jogging caused a lot. We think because jogging may cause biomechanical issues due to less ROM during the movement; particularly during hip flexion. Also in my experience it causes a lot of muscle damage and if I do it a lot, especially on hard surfaces, I am at a much higher risk for injuries. So I will mostly be doing the bike and elliptical.
Wow that makes a lot of sense.... that is an excellent application of knowledge and taking full advantage of a physiological response
www.denovonutrition.com