ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - New Here, Desperate for HELP!
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 04:16 PM
StacyMarie should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default New Here, Desperate for HELP!

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out! I'm 30, mom of two kids (ages 9 and 2) and I have been trying for 9 years now to drop the 60+ pounds I need to lose.
Recently I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which is closely linked with insulin resistance. I've been to endocrinologists and dieticians, as well as my regular doctors. No one seems to be able to do much to help me. I'm currently on Metformin and Topamax. I also take a multivitamin.
For the mostpart I stick to a high-protein, no refined carb diet, and have just added whey and soy protein shakes. This weight is stuck to me like ugly on an ape despite having been through four personal trainers and countless workout schedules at my gym.
I don't want to make this post too long, but I have several major issues. #1) when I do any kind of lifting my muscle growth is OUT of control. it's ugly, and my last trainer actually admitted that it was "freakish" and he had never seen a woman with biceps like that... no more weights for you, he said. #2) soon as I start my cardio my heart rate goes up to anywhere from 150-170 without any trouble, and I can keep it there for as long as I choose to continue to work out, so it's NOT a heart rate issue... or is it? my resting heart rate is around 58. #3) I tend to get pretty severe cramps in my legs when I'm working out. I have tried adding more salt, drinking red bull before I work out, and adding potassium to my diet, and none of these have helped. any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated!

Just as a sidenote, my cholesterol is about 120, my triglycerides are good, my good cholesterol is what my doctor calls "incredibly high" and my blood chemistry is "normal". I work out at a gym 4-6 days a week. Anybody got any ideas for me? I'd love to hear them!