ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Exercise Decreases Depression --> Why?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Birthright1 is The Master Blaster PUMP Master
Light-Heavyweight

Default Re: Exercise Decreases Depression --> Why?

Would the lack of any long term affect of exercise contribute to depression? For instance you go to the gym 3 days a week for a year and you feel really good after your workouts so this inurn helps your depression. But after a year of going and not really having a clue what you are doing and making no progress whatsoever; already suffering from depression donít you think that this could possibly be the thing that puts you over the edge?

I guess the cure for this is a detailed workout plan that is proven to give results. However the inability to follow this plan is likely if said person suffers from depression to any great extent.

So while I agree with the fact that exercise will help with the short term affects of depression but without proper guidance and a planned routine that is followed I feel it will only lead to a deeper state of depression due to the failure of said person to obtain a specified goal; especially if that goal is not realistic and physically obtainable for that persons body type. Add to that the person having stopped taking there medication due to the short term relief from depression due to exercise and this could lead to a sever breakdown.
Lo, they do call to me
They bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live
Forever.

"Either you lift it or you don't."
Jesse Dawson Marunde