ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - 2008 - Swimming + Cutting = Getting Ready For Summer
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Vamoose should change his/her status!
Middleweight

Default 2008 - Swimming + Cutting = Getting Ready For Summer

Well, hopefully my 2nd attempt at planning a year's training goes better. Knee problems threw a wrench in 2007. I tried pushing through it when I should have rested. Hopefully I am a year older and wiser because of this experience.

THE BIG PICTURE:
I) January - March: Training for the TSC
II) April - June: Beach body
III) July and August: Enjoy the beach
IV) September - December: Deadlift -> Kettlebells

DETAILS

I)
Monday
Bar-bell side press
One arm bar-bell snatch
Conventional deadlifts

Wednesday
Kettlebell swings

Friday
Kettlebell side press
One arm kettlebell snatch
Romanian deadlifts

*Notes
**January will deadlift off a 1.5in platform.
**Will probably deadlift off the floor in February.
**May substitute one arm bar-bell clean and push presses for snatches in February.
**Will get a pull-up bar for home to work on those with low-intensity and high frequency.
**March will focus on event preparation by performing the deadlift, pull-ups, and snatches in series. Split may look something like this: Monday = test prep, Wednesday = kettlebell swings, Friday = assistance lifts
**May try a conservative cut during this period to reduce bodyweight and improve my pull-up performance.

II)
Need to really research what I am going to do diet wise during this period. I want to drop about 10lbs during the 12-weeks. My previous half-assed attempts at cutting have not worked. I am blessed with a very adaptive metabolism. Periods of excessive eating and low cardio activity levels rarely see significant increases in bodyweight. Likewise, planned eating and high cardio activity periods rarely see a significant decrease in bodyweight. Definately going to have to use a very planned cyclical approach to dieting.

Some Bar-bell work throughout

April: A lot of kettlebell lifting and some swimming

May and June: Increase the total amount of work with school out. Cut back some on the kettlebell lifting and incorporate more work for the biceps, abs, and calves which I completely neglect regularly. Increase the amount of swimming.

III)
No planning will go into this period whatsoever. Foresee a lot of work being done at the beach with a kettlebell and the monkey bars. 30 to 60-minutes of swimming 3 to 7 times per week.

IV)
Will see how phase I goes. Will probably do something very similar. When school becomes overwhelming will shift back towards more kettlebell training.
"Do not make the mistake of limiting your practices to any one set of lifts...Practice everything...single and double-handed lifts, snatching and swinging, jerking and pressing, lying down with weights, supporting weights, lifting weights while laid on the back, ring weights, human weights, and, if possible, double-handed lifts to the knee, and harness lifts, also holding the bell aloft and bringing a weight after with the disengaged hand." ~ Arthur Saxon