ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't found a way to do this yet, which is why I'm still single.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. That would not be possible. I certainly would not be able to perform at the level I am in any area of my life.

The pHD program is quite different than previous programs one goes through. In undergrad, you have to jump through hundreds of hoops. In other words, you have to do things and take tests that basically have no application to your life, other than the fact of weeding people out and building a great work ethic and motivation. My masters program was actually extremely fun; still some hoops, but I mostly loved the experience. What sucked was doing stuff to get into the pHD program.

The pHD program is much different. I don't take any class unless I want to take it because it is going to make me a great scientist. Its a very autonomous program, which is much more suited for me.

Undergrads, and many master students need more external regulators to stay motivated. But the higher you get in education, the more independent it becomes. If you made it to a pHD program, then it is assumed you are already self driven. So you are treated that way.

It's really fantastic. What I did not enjoy was the hundreds of worthless hours I spent making applications and taking the GRE, all to get here. I don't mind working hard; but if I don't feel its improving me and getting me closer to my goals - directly - then I get frustrated. It's not like that here; everything I do now is towards my goals of becoming a great scientists.

So honestly, my mindset for the past several years, like I said in the first post of this journal, was doing what it takes to get to this stage. I did not enjoy studying for the GRE, or making applications. But I did it because I knew it would get me to where I wanted to be. That's called integrated regulation, which is the most effective type of extrinsic motivation. But if you actually are intrinsically motivated to do that, that's obviously optimal. But I had a hard time doing that. I want to study protein; not memorize 500 words on the GRE lexion! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

So good luck with that bro haha. Just remember, it's all going to be worth it!

Thanks a lot for that advise on preparation! I'll definitely use that information.
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.