ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Adam Knowlden should change his/her status!
Olympia Contender

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

[ QUOTE ]
came from a Kinesiology background, so I have no sympathy for excuses not to workout.

[/ QUOTE ]

ha ha, testify bro.

[ QUOTE ]
It's not like he needs to workout like me either lol. .

[/ QUOTE ]

haha Yeah, I was going to ask how you're going to explain to your wife that you are going to work out for 3 hours every day and she can take care of the kids. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I haven't found a way to do this yet, which is why I'm still single.
[img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What I have found is that you have to be extremely motivated to even want to get a PhD. Going through the application process myself right now, I can see why not too many people do this. There are so many hoops. If you're not totally motivated and really want it, it can get frustrating quick.

There are tons of these same barriers while you're in the program too, which explains why so many people I know complete the PhD course work and never finish the dissertation.

Basically everything about the PhD process is a weeding our process. If a individual is not 100% committed and motivated to obtaining a PhD they won't get through the process...and the PhD committee has plenty of tests in the way to ensure it.

I had a similar ephiphonie as you. Basically, I was getting frustrated, but realized all the application process is a test to see how bad you want it. Plus, it's a way to prepare you for the series of tests the you'll be facing throughout the entire program. I said the same thing to myself as you did. If I really want this, I'll can not look at this test as something to despise, but as a challenge. Once I establish something as a challenge in my mind, I won't stop at anything to allow defeat.

You have the perfect mindset (not to mention skill sets) for achieving your goal.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, its been a struggle getting into a routine. I just moved up here a little over a month ago, and I'm just starting to get used to everything. But right now, here is a typical day.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're doing great though!

[ QUOTE ]
First, if I can, I am trying to prepare as much as I can for the week on Sundays. But that did not work this week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what your apartment conditions are like, but if you can I recommend getting a large grill. It's great because you can cook enough food to last for 2 weeks. Plus, while it's cooking you can do other things. After a few practices you'll have this down to a science. I normally prep all of my protein shakes for the week and all my supplement dosages for the week while I'm cooking. I also blast my radio which helps me keep in a groove.

What I do is contingency plan too. So, one weekend when you are really motivated, cook an extra weeks worth of food and freeze it. What that does is allow me to have a cushion in case I can't cook one weekend, or if I'm just not motivated to do it I have a back up supply of ready to eat quality protein. Another huge help is those new ready-to-eat brown rice packets. Uncle Ben's are the best. You just pop them in the mircowave and they're ready in 90 seconds. They're awesome too!

[ QUOTE ]
1-5:30 working in the lab. Before I leave, I get dressed for the gym and down a pre-workout shake. I tried going home first then going to the gym. But that wastes time, plus when I get home, its hard to leave! So I just go straight from lab to the gym now; works much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect. I agree, I do the same thing!