ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 02:57 AM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: The Journey of a pHD bodybuilder - Train, Eat, and Think like a Pro!

One psychological tip to fellow students out there.

I was listening to this professor who is collaborating on some work with us in our lab, and he said he had not been in the gym in 2 weeks because he was so busy!

I have 3 exams in about 10 days. I have an incredible amount of studies I need to do. So I could easily just phone it in and get through my workouts casually or take a day off here or there. But I said to myself today, "this is the lifestyle you have chosen. If you think it's getting any easier you are fooling yourself. So either make a decision now to train hard-core, or it's never going to happen."

And that's the truth. If you are a college student, particularly if you are a graduate student, your going to be swamped...pretty much the rest of your life. It's just a matter of taking the approach that you are going to do whatever it takes to be a successful bodybuilder.

A lot my success I would attribute to goal setting, which we discuss extensively in our anatomy section under psychology if anyone is interested.

But another component is self sacrifice. In order for me to thrive as a pHD student, bodybuilder, bodybuilding entrepreneur, among other ventures, it takes an incredible amount off dedication and "sacrifice." I have no leeway here; if I am off my game for just a few days, then I fall behind, and it's hard to catch back up. So leisure time is great and should be done; but handle your business first and foremost. If leisure time really gets in the way of your training, or studies, then you need to get your priorities straight IF your goal is to reach your ultimate potential. I find that there is time for both, to a certain extent. You simply need to take a break every once in a while. And thriving in a social milieu is an inherent need of humans, that should not be neglected.

Now, I put sacrifice in scare quotes there, because I have a hard time considering it a sacrifice personally. Why? Because I love doing what I am doing. And if you are going to be really successful at something, that must be the case. You must love spending 10 hours a day in the lab, and training before and after each lab day. If you don't then your going to be miserable and not nearly as successful. Intrinsic motivation is the key. Read my article on rewards and IM in the psychology section for more info.

So here is my take home message for today: embrace the pain! [img]/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.