ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Weight loss for mature women
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 07:52 AM
gsclarke should change his/her status!
Stranger

Default Weight loss for mature women

Hi everyone

This is a little off the subject of body building but I know most of the people here are better informed on health, fitness and nutrition than most and over the last few years I have had some very helpful advice here.

I would like to ask you ladies when you think enough is enough as regards weight loss. We hear so much of the 'size zero' stuff and although I think there are many, especially the young, that are stupid with weight loss, there is also, in my opinion, way too much tendency to lean towards saying it is OK to be 20lb overweight and to expect to be as slim as when you were younger is unrealistic.

First a little background: I'm a 55 year old post-menopausal woman who has had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for 10 years. With not much help from the medical profession, I have managed to develop lifestyle that keeps me reasonably fit, bearing in mind that is relative to some-one that has CFS. I still have 3 or 4 relapses per year but as I get fitter instead of lasting 3 or 4 months, they now last 3 or 4 weeks, if that. I am still hopeful I can beat it eventually. At my best I can swim a mile freestyle, albeit slowly, and I finally have a gym set up at home with a new room being built as we speak. I have a multi-gym, elliptical, treadmill, rower, etc. I intend to give myself every chance with this.

Now back to the subject I need your advice on.

In my teens I was very skinny, presumably my natural build, with a waist that was NEVER going anywhere near 10 inches less than my hips and boobs, which is what we called a good figure in those days. Over the years weight went on and although most people would say it was not extreme, my view with hindsight, was that I should have stayed fitter. When the CFS kicked in when I was 45, the weight piled on faster and by the time I was past 50 I was about 165-170lb. This was the point at which I called a halt, had a complete lifestyle change and started to get the weight off.

Over the last 2 years I have hovered around 132lb, give or take a couple. I keep meaning to get a little more off but between relapses with the CFS and holidays (we have taken several a year since hubby retired) my weight goes up a few pounds then I make sure it comes off again.

5' 5", currently 132lb, size 10 (size 6 US) waist 31 inches.

From an appearance point of view I look fine, in some clothes maybe too thin. I can easily dress to suit and cosmetically I am probably at my optimum weight. However I am not interested in the cosmetics. I would like to get rid of the last of my fat. Noticeably my waist still has fat (love handles and abdomen) as does that annoying area around the arm pits that bulges over the bra. As I drop to 130lb people start telling me I look too thin and 'unhealthy', which I believe is based purely on appearance and their own weight/perception of what is normal. I have no doubt at all that I still have fat I could lose. I need to plan it carefully so that my health permits me to exercise and not lose muscle.

The question is, at my age am I expecting too much. My GP says I will NEVER lose the fat round my tummy and armpits, no matter how much I try, but then the medical profession has been wrong more than right in the last few years of my experience. And it is fat, not just loose skin or lack of muscle tone.

I am quite capable of getting off more weight without losing muscle but of course I can't make it go from where I choose.

So am I expecting too much?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Gay