ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Need a little extra advice
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 04:16 PM
flowerkitty should change his/her status!
Lightweight

Default Re: Need a little extra advice

I am not familiar with the Body for Life, so I can't really judge it.

It is good that you are already used to going to the gym 6x a week. But instead of doing weights and cardio each time, do one or the other every other time. This will give your body more time to recover, especially so if you have been working out full body everyday.

If you were doing weights for your entire body everyday, or if you have never seperated bodyparts, then I would suggest the upper/lower body split. You would get the same results as you would with a three day split. (you may even get better results, because of less bad stress and the possibility of unintentionally overreaching/overtraining)

It looks like you go to the gym for 1 hour everyday? So instead of doing 30 minutes cardio then 30 minutes weights, you'd do something that looks like this:

monday:
lower body
tuesday:
cardio
wednesday:
upper body
thursday:
cardio
friday:
lower body
saturday:
cardio
sunday:
rest
monday:
upper body
etc

Not weight lifting everyday, and not using the same bodyparts everyday, or even every other day, allows your body to fully recover. When fully recovered you can lift harder and better. You'll make more gains in the long run.

Assuming you want to maintain your muscle mass/even build a little and burn the most calories possible, you should pick a few exercises and do 3 sets of about 9-15 repititions. You should take about 60-120 seconds of rest between each set. You have to get a heavy enough weight to have you fail around 12-15 reps. This means on your third set, you should NOT be able to do a 16th rep. Personally I try to stick to around 12 reps. Once I can go over 12 reps on my third set, I take note and use a heavier weight next time. Usually using a weight heavy enough to only do 1-6 reps is for strength training. I encourage you to do a couple exercises each week in this range, to change it up a little, and also build your strength. But normally stick to the 9-15 range. Don't be afraid to lift heavy, although possible, it is terribly hard to build even a small amount of muscle mass on a calorie deficit.

As for the cardio, 20 minutes of HIIT may be enough if you do it seriously high intensity. Personally I do HIIT for about 30-35 minutes. I always have a 5 minute warm-up and a 3-5 minute cool down. In between I do 8 intervals. Usuaully I do 1 minute sprinting with 2 minutes of recovery. Sometimes I also do 1 minute sprinting, 2 minutes recovery, 2 minutes sprinting, 2 minutes recovery, repeat. You can do this on any machine, you don't necessarily need to run. So a typical HIIT workout for me would be:

5 minute warm up walking 4.0 MPH
1 minute running 8.0
2 minutes walking 4.0
2 minutes running 7.5
2 minute walking 4.0
1 minute running 8.0
2 minutes walking 4.0
2 minutes running 7.5
2 minutes walking 4.0
1 minute running 8.0
2 minutes walking 4.0
2 minutes running 7.5
2 minute walking 4.0
1 minute running 8.0
2 minutes walking 4.0
2 minutes running 7.5
4 minute cool down walking 4.0

This burns a good amount of calories in a small amount of time and also conditions your body to burn more calories at rest. If the instensity of this is too high, or too low, configure it to your liking. (change the 4.0 to a slower walk or maybe a slow jog, or make the sprints slower or faster) You can play with it however you'd like. Try to do a little more each time you do it, and try to use different machines every time. It may looks ridiculous "sprinting" on an elliptical but you can and it burns A LOT of calories.

After your cardio workouts, you can work out abs, if you'd like. More than 3x a week is not necessary for abs.

To recap, you'd still be in the gym for an hour 6x a week, you'd just be alternating weights/cardio and you'd be doing each with more intensity than before. See how this works for you for the next 2-6 weeks, and you can change it up again from there.