ABCbodybuilding - View Single Post - Non exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT)
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Venom is training, researching, or talking on ABC
Vice President Abcbodybuilding.com

Default Re: Non exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT)

I have noticed standing makes a huge difference for me.

Since a great deal of my time is spent on the internet (i.e. ABC), or writing or researching, the choice to stand or sit can make a larger difference in my energy expenditure, than someone who is in a physically active occupation, such as construction working. So as stated above, I have adapted my computer set up, so I have the option to stand and sit. My computer desk has two shelves. So when I want to stand, I just slip the key board on the top one; when I want to sit, I slip it down to the bottom. Right now, I am standing. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

In the past, when I have written massive articles like my satiety one, I have noticed that I gain fat during this stage. And I have noticed a high correlation between sitting down all day, like I do when researching, and fat gain. I have told several people about this. Well, standing has really helped.

One problem I found with this at first, is man did it hurt my feet! But I soon adapted, and that is no longer an issue.

It has actually really helped some back pains I had. The issue with sitting, is that we often develop sloppy posture. Our body tends to let loose on our proprioreceptors, and we then sag, or lean forward when we sit. And this causes back issues. In 1999, it was reported that 40% of workplace injuries “were strains and sprains, most often involving the back” (ErgoWeb, 2001). In fact, only the common cold has caused more absences in workplaces in the United States than lower back injuries (Cherkin et al., 1994 as cited by Hall, 2003).

A lot of this is related to problems with posture, or picking up objects incorrectly.

I think it would be a great idea to give people the option to sit or stand in the work place. I think this would decrease injuries, and increase NEAT.

I also chew gum. [img]/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Co-Editor. of JHR

Venom@abcbodybuilding.com
Bible Studies
Click Here to Support the Future of Bodybuilding!

Matthew 7:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.